PDA

View Full Version : VHO for Zoas

stevem650
06/25/2006, 06:39 PM
I have a 150 reef (6') with 960wts of VHO. I also use 2 Tunze Streams for water circulation. My tank is mostly soft corals as well as a few lps and sps and all is doing well.. I am starting to add Zoas to my tank and don't read much about VHO lighting and Zoas. I am reading that most use MH or T5. Will I have good results and fast growth with VHO? Would like to hear from anyone using VHO. Also, where should the Zoas be placed in the tank. Top, bottom, high flow area? Thanks

gflat65
06/25/2006, 06:57 PM
That's a loaded question... I run VHO's over a 20L (and supplement over my 125 and 120) and get great growth and color. Growth has so many other variables, though. I run VHO and MH with 03's in the VHO's for the nice fluorescence at night. It'as a bit more purple than PC's, but I've always been a VHO fan.

stevem650
06/26/2006, 07:04 PM
Don't know if this is a stupid question but Zoas that have red, orange and blue color, should they be placed higher in my tank? What kind of water movement do they like? Thanks

jgatmaitan
06/27/2006, 02:42 PM
I have a 100G tank with 4 110w(2 aquasun and 2 actinics) VHO. The tank is mostly LPS and zoos at this point.

Growth varies depending on the zoo. My eagle eye grows the fastest and a pink zoo grows at a good rate. A couple of my other zoos grow very slowly. Overall, I think VHOs are fine for zoos.

gflat65
06/27/2006, 03:52 PM
Stevem,

Not a stupid question at all. There are many variables that determine growth and right now, most are strictly anecdotal... Usually start mine low and move them up and observe. I don't have any of the fun blues, though.

wds21921
07/09/2006, 09:19 AM
90 gallon w/ 4-110watt VHO's. 2 uri and 2 coralife tubes. My eagles definitely love it as well as my teals, the reddish orange also seem to like it. The blues hmm maybe not so much and the yellows...they'll grow under anything.

CoralNutz
07/09/2006, 09:28 AM
I've been running all vho's for a long time now... I am planning on using some MH with vho actinics on this upcoming tank. If I was going to keep just zoas, lps I would just stick with the VHO's but I would like to get some cooler sps towards the top... and then zoas and lps mid and bottom levels...