PDA

View Full Version : ID please.....

Monkey_Bone
06/25/2006, 10:33 PM
At 1st I thought this was a fire coral but Ihave touched it ( accidentaly) and the bristles are soft and retract fully like polyps on an acro?
They dont sting or penetrate ther skin even onthe softest part of the hand/arm.
It seems to grow fast inan encrusting formation for the most part but it is also trying to branch off a bit to it looks like?

It came from Florida waters as a teeny tiny hitchiker I recieved on a polyp rock. It also seems to be turning a VERY NICE hot pink
coloration more and more each day. It started out as a tan'ish buck skin coloration.
Any takers?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DuaneJ/Nano%20reef/Mysterysps.jpg

Sk8r
06/25/2006, 11:01 PM
Looks more like a leather. Is the body soft, or hard?

menard
06/25/2006, 11:21 PM
Looks like Blue ridge coral.

Monkey_Bone
06/25/2006, 11:24 PM
SK8r think about what forum I posted this in for sec. :)
Its an sps. :) It is hard to the touch but smooth.

menard blue ridge corals are blue with individual polyps that resemble digitata but farther apart. they grow much wider and thicker branches than this thing. ;)

Thank anyways though guys I apreciate the fast responses.

menard
06/25/2006, 11:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7628997#post7628997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Monkey_Bone
SK8r think about what forum I posted this in for sec. :)
Its an sps. :) It is hard to the touch but smooth.

menard blue ridge corals are blue with individual polyps that resemble digitata but farther apart. they grow much wider and thicker branches than this thing. ;)

Thank anyways though guys I apreciate the fast responses. Man, Blue ridge aint blue,when that coral is no longer living then its blue. BLUE SKELITON.;)

Amphiprion
06/25/2006, 11:32 PM
:confused:

Heliopora coerulea polyps look nothing like any Montipora sp. that I am aware of. Nor are they found in Florida. I thought it was H. coerulea until you said it came on florida rock. Any way you can get a closer and clearer pic, because I have no clue at the moment.

Monkey_Bone
06/25/2006, 11:36 PM
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20050418135427/www.liveaquaria.com/images/products/bigimage

BLue ridge coral has a BLUE base ( SKELETON ) dead or alive when the polyps are closed its blue. Hense the name. It has Tan/brown POLYPS. Not britsles. The polyps can be either brown or light blue too. Its not realy and sps either, its an octocoral.
Like I said though thanks for the response. all are apreciated.
;)

Monkey_Bone
06/25/2006, 11:49 PM
"Heliopora coerulea polyps look nothing like any Montipora sp. that I am aware of. Nor are they found in Florida. I thought it was H. coerulea until you said it came on florida rock. Any way you can get a closer and clearer pic, because I have no clue at the moment."

Who mentioned montipora?

Here is a closer pic its all the way in the back of the tank and the tank is 18" deep. This is as close and clear as I can get it I think.
I will try with the macro lense but I think it may be to far back for it?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DuaneJ/Nano%20reef/Mysterysps2.jpg

Monkey_Bone
06/26/2006, 03:38 PM
Bump.

Monkey_Bone
06/27/2006, 05:18 AM
Anyone?

jaymz101
06/28/2006, 05:58 AM
First off Im no coral expert...Im a fisheries biologist. But I know a little.

I would say definately Milleopora sp. on a first glance based on texture and shape of the polyps. But you say it doesn't sting?? Maybe youre superman.....

Other choices...
Corals from the family Stylasteridae (lace corals) esp. genus Distichopora - close relatives and also hydrocorals. Same texture and basic polyp shape. The problem is they are supposed to be pretty rare and dont do well in tanks (They depend on food and nutrients for ALL of theirenergy needs)

NOT Heliopora - I have never seen one that color and it's not fuzzy enough, the polyps arent right.

If I had to pick something thats not a hydrocoral it would be Erythropodium sp. an encrusting gorgonian. Supposed to be almost impossible to kill and super agressive. But...they are not supposed to form any vertical outgrowths....at least theyve never been observed to.

Ive found one good ID character to narrow it down. Are the apertures where the polyps come out of the stolon star shaped?

Yes - youve got Erythropodium

No - probably a hydrocoral of some sort.

My money is on you being superman, especially since this piece is from Florida where they are super common. Milleopora stings with the polyps, not bristles of any kind. And to call it a burning sensation IME is being generous. Its more of an annoying itch that goes away in about an hour. Now I know folks who have very bad reactions too and even one who has no reaction at all.

Hope I helped.

Jeremy Blaze
06/28/2006, 07:41 AM
I was thinking millipora as well. An easy way to prove or disporve it, break of a tip, or small peice, if it is millipora, it will be blue on the Inside.

Monkey_Bone
06/28/2006, 07:04 PM
How about a pic of me touching it and photographing the section of my under-forearm after wards.
Im not super man fellas. It dosent sting "me".

But i think it is a millepora sp.
I think its this one:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/k.davis11/millepora.html
Back in a sec with the pic of me rubbing it on my arm.

Jeremy Blaze
06/28/2006, 07:23 PM
Opps, I meant helliopora, its blue, on the inside. Break a peice off.

Monkey_Bone
06/28/2006, 07:28 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DuaneJ/Forearm1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/DuaneJ/Forearm2.jpg

Nada, nothing, zip , zilch.
Not even an itch.

I preffer to be called the Aquaman. Not superman.
LOL!!!

I AM NOT BREAKING OFF MY CORAL!!!

I will do it if you have a nice large pink Yuma you will chop up into pieces and poct pics of it? ;) :mixed:

Jeremy Blaze
06/29/2006, 07:17 AM
I don't think breaking off a little peice would do much harm.

It would tell you one of 3 things,

Blue inside, helliopora
If it fizz's, millipora,
If it does nothing, and is not blue, unknown, keep searching.

I'd cut my pink ric if I had a reason too!

Monkey_Bone
06/29/2006, 09:06 PM
Not gonna do it.

I strongly believe it is millepora now though.
Same coloration, same "fuzz", growth pattern ect ect.....
I just seem to be imune to its sting I guess?

Underwaterparadise
06/29/2006, 09:48 PM
It's a helliopora AKA blue ridge coral

DitchPlains2
06/29/2006, 10:02 PM
Its........Unknowapora! I've seen quite a few times, quite an amazing specimen of Unknowapora. Congrads.

cheers
David:lol:

Monkey_Bone
06/29/2006, 10:09 PM
YEAH!!!! I have the elusive "Unkowapora" !!!!!
I have always wantted my very own! LOL!!!

It is NOT a blueridge coral. Dosent even resemble one.
BLueridge coral do not have fine hairs, they dont grow in the same pattern as this, and they are blue based with brown/tan, or blue polyps.

Absolutley, unequivicly NOT a BLueridge coral.

Its Millepora. Click the link I posted and look at the pic closely in the link. Its a fire coral.

Blueridge coral is not an sps. They are actualy an octocoral
( pretty much a gorgonian with a stony skeleton)

Mchava
06/29/2006, 10:11 PM
hilleopora aka blueridge coral. I had one for about 2 years then I got rid of it. Trust me its a blueridge coral. It will grow any where and any form its a reef building coral.

Amphiprion
06/29/2006, 10:13 PM
Have you touched it underwater without disturbing it otherwise? If the dactylozooids are retracted, you will feel nothing.

Monkey_Bone
06/29/2006, 10:54 PM
See my 1st post?
I have touched it with the polyps out as well underwater.

BS you wont get hit if the polyps are in.
I have personaly seen two divers lean back on on a cave wall that was under low tide conditions with fire coral growing all over it and exposed out of water polyps in.
They got the bejesus stung out of them. Back was all red and itchy/stinging.

It is NOT Blue ridge coral your mistaken.
Blue ridge coral ( Heliopora Coerulea ) grows MUCH MUCH thicker branches and it grows in a "lettuce" pattern as well as striaght up. Post as pic of your old blueridge you had. I want to see one growing in any other formation than thick branches and growing straight up. BLue ridge corals do not have thin hairs for polyps either ;) they have long thin tube like polyps like a searod only with smaller "flowers" on the ends of the tenticles.
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20050418135428/www.liveaquaria.com/images/products/bigimage/lg_82053.jpg

CLick the 2nd link I posted and remember the piece I have is only around 2-21/2 inches x 1 1/2-2" so It hasent started branching much yet. but it is a fire coral.
Youcan come over and touche it and see if youget stung if you like?
LOL!
for some reason it just dosent effect me?
Maybe I have tough skin or somthing?
A nonalgergenic reaction to its sting?
I dont know , but it is definately a fire coral.

Amphiprion
06/29/2006, 11:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7656357#post7656357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Monkey_Bone
See my 1st post?
I have touched it with the polyps out as well underwater.

BS you wont get hit if the polyps are in.
I have personaly seen two divers lean back on on a cave wall that was under low tide conditions with fire coral growing all over it and exposed out of water polyps in.
They got the bejesus stung out of them. Back was all red and itchy/stinging.

It is NOT Blue ridge coral your mistaken.
Blue ridge coral ( Heliopora Coerulea ) grows MUCH MUCH thicker branches and it grows in a "lettuce" pattern as well as striaght up. Post as pic of your old blueridge you had. I want to see one growing in any other formation than thick branches and growing straight up. BLue ridge corals do not have thin hairs for polyps either ;) they have long thin tube like polyps like a searod only with smaller "flowers" on the ends of the tenticles.
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20050418135428/www.liveaquaria.com/images/products/bigimage/lg_82053.jpg

CLick the 2nd link I posted and remember the piece I have is only around 2-21/2 inches x 1 1/2-2" so It hasent started branching much yet. but it is a fire coral.
Youcan come over and touche it and see if youget stung if you like?
LOL!
for some reason it just dosent effect me?
Maybe I have tough skin or somthing?
A nonalgergenic reaction to its sting?
I dont know , but it is definately a fire coral.

I never said it wasn't a fire coral. That is precisely what it is, because from your last photo, I can see the cyclosystem. I am not sensitive to them, either, except on the upper part of my arm (bicep area). The dactylozooids are what sting you--NOTHING else on these animals are capable of doing it. When they are retracted, they can do nothing. When most people get stung while they are retracted, they have damaged the surfaces of the coral, exposing the dactylopores and dactylozooids. This would be the case of your diver buddies. There may be one person full of BS, but I am afraid it is not me.

Monkey_Bone
07/01/2006, 10:41 PM
:)