PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer overflows immediately when turned on

Mr31415
06/26/2006, 10:51 AM
I have a new 550l tank just set up. Everything seems to work fine, except the protein skimmer (Deltec AP600). The moment I turn it on it takes about 10 seconds then the top cup overflows. Since the skimmer does not stand inside the sump (no room for it), it overflows on to my tiles.

I see there is a small regulator valve for the air intake I presume (orange lever connected to a thin flexible tube feeding in to the needle wheel). Should I adjust it?

What is wrong that it overflows so quickly?

jtemple42000
06/26/2006, 11:14 AM
You need the start with the air almost off. Then over the course of a couple days gradually turn up the air. You may want to get some sort of container to put the skimmer in so that if it overflows you have a way to contain it.

Mr31415
06/26/2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the help. I have done that and it is fine now...

One last thing - since the plumbing is already glued tight and there is no way to lift the skimmer more than about 1mm, what can I do to contain any potential overflow? Is there larger collection cup for the AP600? Any other ideas?

newreefbishop
06/26/2006, 11:41 AM
How old is the skimmer? and I believe a lrger cup is made but i suggest you check with manufacture...

Mr31415
06/26/2006, 12:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7631267#post7631267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newreefbishop
How old is the skimmer? and I believe a lrger cup is made but i suggest you check with manufacture...

Brand new - one day. I just finished setting up the tank and it has been running for 48 hours. The skimmer has never before been turned on, except for my first attempt when it overflowed.

jtemple42000
06/26/2006, 12:14 PM
mine came with a tube attatched, 1/2 or so from the bottom, so that the water overflows into a seperate container. You could always drill it to make yours so the same. I fill a 2liter bottle every week or so......

MarkD40
06/26/2006, 12:41 PM
If the hose draining your skimmer enters your sump and it is submerged this may be causing back pressure until the water gets moving and will cause water to back up in the skimmer. Make sure the hose is not submerged more than an inch or so. Also if you put a tee in the hose close to the skimmer with tee opening upwards with a short length of tubing attached this will allow air in to let the water drain to the sump faster.

Avi
06/26/2006, 12:42 PM
Some skimmer manufacturers offer these, and they can be used with the same brand, of course, or with any other. If the collection cup on yours doesn't have an outlet for attachment of one of these

http://www.proteinskimmer.com/i/wastecollectors.jpg

....or to a 2-litre bottle, though I'd imagine tha there might be some odor attendant to those if filled with "skimmate"...then you could drill a hole in your collection cup to accomodate a proper fitting that would enable you to attach 1/2-inch ID flex tubing that would go to a waste container. These might be good for that since they conform to a rounded surface well:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/8600/cid/2009

Mr31415
06/27/2006, 10:58 AM
Sorry to revive this thread, but I just installed 80kg of live rock. Obviously it is now important to have the skimmer operate full time. For the AP600, what is a reasonable time for the cup to fill up needing draining? I have changed the air intake valve such that there are a *huge* amount of bubbles in the vessel, but not fully so that it cooks over. However it does push every now and again some foam over - which as I understand is exactly how it was designed. I would just like to understand whether the amount of water I get in the cup is correct? Currently it seems as if it would fill the cup in about 2 hours.

newreefbishop
06/27/2006, 11:05 AM
does the manufature say anything about a break in period?

Mr31415
06/27/2006, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7638033#post7638033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newreefbishop
does the manufature say anything about a break in period?

Not that I could see from Deltec's web site. Is there anybody using a Deltec AP600 skimmer that has some experience on this?