PDA

View Full Version : Aqualifter Questions

BigRay
06/26/2006, 12:12 PM
Hey everbody,
I bought an aqualifter pump for my auto top-off and just have afew questions.

1) Can i pump saltwater through it?

2) Can the water that goes though it contain buffers, additives, or kalkwasser?

Thanks,
BigRay

theop
06/26/2006, 12:27 PM
1) Yes
2) Not sure, but probably

However, I've found the aqualifter to not be that great. Mine required taking apart the bellows and cleaning them every couple of months. I wouldn't use it for an auto-topoff because of reliability concerns.

outy
06/26/2006, 01:01 PM
yes and yes always run the cheap prefilter for extended life of the aqualifter

BigRay
06/26/2006, 01:06 PM
ok cool, Because i had heard that you can only run freash water through it because salt, additives and kalkwasser would build up and jam it pretty quickly.

theop
06/26/2006, 01:08 PM
Maybe that was my problem...

wetWolger
06/26/2006, 01:16 PM
I use mine for top off....so it runs fresh water with an occassional light dose of kalk....no issues so far. Been running for about 4 months now.

Personaly I would not run anything with a thick kalk mix or anything like that. Nothing that would change the viscosity of the fluid you are pumping.

melev
06/26/2006, 01:41 PM
Why would you top off with saltwater? You should only top off with freshwater.

I've been using an Aqua Lifter on my tank for auto top off for the past 9 months. I love it.

I tried it with kalkwasser and it did clog up, but I don't dose that anyway so the problem was resolved.

shelburn61
06/26/2006, 01:55 PM
yes

yes, but you may have to clean it periodically with RO water or vinegar if your solution will leave precipitate. I dosed kalk for months with only an occasional clog. running two pumps in-line will help with prevent clogging

BigRay
06/26/2006, 02:45 PM
I am topping off with RO fresh.
I was thinking of sometimes useing it to dose too.

shelburn61, How can i run two in-line pumps?

Thanks,
BigRay