PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!

Nabob89
06/26/2006, 12:28 PM
-I think my toadstool leather isnt doing so well. I've had it for just under a week, and every day so far when the lights come on, each small brown "stalk" emerges from the coral and the polyps open. Today, only two of the stalks came out, but the polyps on those two didnt open, and the outside edges of the coral seem more rolled into the center than usual. Also, the outer edge of the coral has turned from pink to a light purple color. I did a 6 gallon water change (55 gallon tank) 3 days ago to help with a dino problem, but that algae is no where near the coral. Here are the parameters:
temp=78 degrees
pH=8.2
nitrate=2.5
nitrite=0
salinity=1.0245
ammonia=0
phosphate=.15
-I don't understand why it looks so bad. Everything else in the tank (2 clowns, GSP, cleanup snails) are doing fine, and the params look good. Please offer any help you can.....is it too late or can I save the coral? thanks alot
Matt

akrimmel
06/26/2006, 12:43 PM
do you have a cleanup crew with crabs, some one could be bothering it at night. if you have any corals with sweeper tentacles could be a issue as well. all parameters seem fine. could be a sick coral. or is still getting used to new tank. is your lighting to stong as opposed to what it was from where the coral came from?

Nabob89
06/26/2006, 12:52 PM
the only other coral is the GSP, so sweeper tentacles arent the problem....at the LFS, it was under MH, and now it is under PC so maybe it is still adjusting. I do have two crabs, but mostly snails as the cleanup crew. I'll look tonite to see if anythign is attacking it, but I haven't noticed anything when walking by the tank after the lights went off.

akrimmel
06/26/2006, 12:58 PM
well i think that is it--lighting it went from sunlike to a very low setting. will adjust and should be fine

Nabob89
06/26/2006, 07:04 PM
well that sounds right....but im just confused because everyday since I got it (5 days ago) it has opened, but today it suddenly did not....I'll wait and see if it opens fully tomorrow. Thanks

bertoni
06/26/2006, 07:10 PM
It could be lighting or water parameters. The SG is okay at around 1.024, although a bit low. The other water parameters look reasonably, although the PO4 is a bit high. I would guess it's just acclimating still, or there might be some chemical warfare issue with the GSP colony.

Me No Nemo
06/26/2006, 07:20 PM
If the edges are curled up...could be it's way of reaching for the light since it is under lower conditions. Leathers can be pretty finicky. I'd try to reduce the phosphates and perhaps blow the top off with a turkey baster (make sure it's new). You might see the leather close up like this from time to time and a film develop that will peel off and then it will open again. Blowing the top off helps to keep the top clean so nothing is laying there that can break down and cause a beacterial problem. Mine is huge and in medium flow and seems to do very well in those conditions. Good luck. Marcye