PDA

View Full Version : Shrinking zoanthids

Perry T
06/26/2006, 04:05 PM
We have a some zoanthis that seems to be withering. One shrunk up and died and the other seems to be followng.

The first one had a big old turbo snail sit on it and after that it started shrinking. About a week later we had an ICK problem and added Kordon Ich attach. I don't know if its the ICH treatment or lighting or just a phase.

Has anybody seen this kind of thing before? Ever used the Kordon stuff?

cardgenius
06/26/2006, 04:08 PM
Im not positive, but I dont think that stuff is good for corals.

surfnvb7
06/26/2006, 04:15 PM
pics?

Perry T
06/26/2006, 04:27 PM
I don't have any pics. No digi cam....

What's interesting is that the remaining zoa, which has a large stock, seems to be moving itself across a big gap in the rock. A small arm that is on the "other side" of the gap is in the worst shape.

I'm setting up a QT so I don't have to put more chems in the water.

Don Berry
06/26/2006, 05:57 PM
I believe that many of the Ich treatments contains copper. That is definetly not good for a reef tank.

coralfarm123
06/26/2006, 07:01 PM
If the zoanthid problem happened shortly after dosing the medication, then that is probably the issue. If the medication you used contains copper or other non-reefsafe chemicals, it can kill all of your corals and inverts including crabs, snails, etc. If you can, run some carbon and possibly some filter floss to try remove the Medication asap and I would do a 25% water change which never hurts anyways. Good luck. Hope your tank bouces back.

Perry T
06/26/2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the input. Copper is not listed as an ingrediant. Yes, I agree a water change is due. I am not going to dose the tank any more. Crabs and snails are doing fine.

I'm off to try and catch that little sick fella.