PDA

View Full Version : green star polyps

naeemn
06/26/2006, 10:49 PM
I just added some green star ployps to my fowlr, I have a 90gal with a wet dry filter with a corallife 125 skimmer, my readings are all good i don't have any specific lighting for my tank just the light that came with the tank. The fish I have are a volitian lion, dog face, fox face,lunar wrase and a naso tang, the question i have is i've had the polyps for about 4 hrs but they havn't opened up? did i make a mistake of gettin these polyps and basically killing them, Iwould like your opinions and how long do u think it will take for them to open if they ever open? or I they going to be eaten?help signed confused:confused:

naeemn
06/27/2006, 12:23 AM
bump

SoonerFan732
06/27/2006, 05:27 AM
Give them a few days to open up. GSP grow like a weed once you add them to a tank.

college429
06/27/2006, 07:58 AM
GSP will sometimes close for a few days after a move. Give them some time.
They like medium to high flow and alot of medium to high light to thrive. If you have low flow and low light, that may be a problem.

Monkeyfish
06/27/2006, 02:10 PM
Made a mistake in my opinion. If you're looking to add a few corals to a FOWLR with standard lighting (fluorescent light strip) stick with xenia and mushrooms and place them in the top third of the tank.

techigirl78
06/28/2006, 11:44 AM
I'd agree, stick them as high as possible. They will probably lose some of their coloring as well. GSP also normally take a few days to open. I'd say they might not get ate as you mainly have grazers and mobile invert eaters.

On a side note, do you plan to upgrade your tank soon? Just seems you may be facing some big problems soon as the fish you have get larger (most will outgrow the 90).

onereefnotenuf
06/28/2006, 12:05 PM
i doubt it will survive with strip lighting. mine is growing like crazy under 250 watt mh pretty high in the tank. i wonder if there are different species that like different lighting levels.

techigirl78
06/28/2006, 12:34 PM
All I know is I threw in some GSP and Colt corals into my 20 gallon QT tank with about 30 watts of standard NO and they survived a number of months. Though, I wouldn't expect much growth or anything and they started to brown out much more.