PDA

View Full Version : need advice - tank crack - top support

CarolD
06/27/2006, 05:20 AM
Thanks in advance for any advice or hints that can be sent my way. I have a 55 gallon salt/reef tank that is my pride and joy. Tank is 4 years old and everything is doing well. Combo of soft/hard corals, clown, gobies, shrimp etc.

There's a plastic top on the tank with a middle support bar. I recently noticed the middle support bar is cracked 1/2 way across. As I look at my tank through the hood, I can see the middle is very slightly bowed out further than the sides. I put a bead of silicone in the crack, is that strong enough?

What's the best thing for me to do? Buy a whole new tank and slowly move everything over. I really want to keep the tank in the same location since it has a cabinet and hood. Is this fixable?

Any ideas would be welcome. Not sure what to do. LFS is trying to sell me a new tank and maybe that's my only option.

Thanks much,
CarolD

horkn
06/27/2006, 07:12 AM
you can fix it, and cheaply as well.

check this thread out, and click on the pics of the guy who used acrylic and nylon screws. its easily done, and i have seen tons of people do this acrylic mod with excellent results, and not one issue of where it didnt work:)

CarolD
06/27/2006, 12:23 PM
horkn,

Thanks very much, can you please post the thread?

CarolD

horkn
06/28/2006, 04:29 PM
doh....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=873402

CarolD
06/29/2006, 07:08 PM
horkn,

Thanks for your help! I would just die if I came home to a busted tank. So much time and so much money!

CarolD

Lambianz
06/29/2006, 09:34 PM
you know they have glass repair kits at the hardware stores and auto store's for cracks. Read carefully that the dry residue will not bleed into the water and is harmfull

horkn
06/29/2006, 10:52 PM
if the glass is cracked, i wouldnt trust any repar to the existing pane.
on cars the glass isnt a load bearing member like an aquarium.