PDA

View Full Version : Wrasses

thriceanangel
06/27/2006, 08:23 AM
Will a six line wrasse clean fish? If not is there one that will but that cleaning is its total diet. I have heard of cleaner wrasses but hear that they starve after all the fish are cleaned.

Horizon Canopy
06/27/2006, 09:57 AM
i've never seen s sixline do it... you could get a cleaner shrimp, mine clean my fish all the time.

sirbooks
06/27/2006, 10:09 AM
If not is there one that will but that cleaning is its total diet.

That's pretty much why most cleaner wrasses don't make it very long. They don't adapt well to the food we offer, and starve if they don't get enough to eat from whatever tankmates they have. If you're looking for a cleaner, it would be better to get one that isn't so selective in what it eats, such as the cleaner shrimp which have been mentioned.

JohnH1970
06/27/2006, 10:24 AM
Neon gobys are also good cleaners, and they will also eat mysis, frozen, etc (small pieces).

michindi
06/27/2006, 12:02 PM
Neon gobys are great cleaners...Thats what I have and he is always cleaning my achillies tang

AquaReeferMan
06/27/2006, 01:31 PM
I would go with either cleaner shrimp or neon gobies. I had my carpet eat 3 cleaner wrasse before I took out some aggressive fish but I have been able to keep a cleaner wrasse now for about 5 months. We kept him in our system at work for a couple of months also. I got lucky mine cleans well and eats anything I throw in the tank mysis, live brine, flake, and he even joins my hippo and feeds on nori.