PDA

View Full Version : power out question

findgnemo
06/27/2006, 11:35 AM
in case of a power out and you have corals how would you be able to take care of them without light? would a "bubble maker" work?

WaterKeeper
06/27/2006, 11:54 AM
In most case the main issue is circulation and a battery powered bubble maker would work. The corals can go a week or more without light without any large effect on them. Temperature is also a problem and, in the summer, floating frozen soda bottles, if you can get them, may be needed. Many reefers spring for a generator as they add more and more things to their tanks.

tkeracer619
06/27/2006, 11:56 AM
yup a generator that powers the tank and the fridge is nice to have. Anyone wanna grill some steaks 3 days into a disaster, ill have the ribeye please.

PVChick12
06/27/2006, 01:20 PM
We have had 5 power outages here in the last week....I had the back up bubbler thank goodness, though the thing caught on fire...don't ask me how, I really dont know...Luckily I had an unopened one on hand already...As for the light, remember that when corals come from say Indonesia, the Phillipines ect...they will be in transport for about 3 days, then probably another day before they ever reach the LFS. Also you know in the wild, thanks to tide some corals will even be out of water during low tide, they seem to do just fine. A little time with no light won't kill them. =)

Teremei
06/27/2006, 02:10 PM
The main thing you want in a power out is oxygen. And those battery powered bubblers are good for when you have long 3-6 hour power outtages. You also have to make sure temp doesn't dip or raise too much. 3-5 degrees slowly isn't going to hurt anything but you dont' want it to get too extreme.

WaterKeeper
06/27/2006, 04:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7638900#post7638900 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PVChick12
We have had 5 power outages here in the last week....I had the back up bubbler thank goodness, though the thing caught on fire...don't ask me how,

:lmao:

Well PV,

With 5 outages in a year I think its pacemaker probably shorted out.

Nemo, I would ask PV what brand it was and put that bubbler on my "Equipment to Avoid" list. :D