PDA

View Full Version : effects of live rock by hypolinity.

sruiz
06/27/2006, 12:50 PM
I first saw ick when I introduced a yellow tang to my new 55 gallon tank. I was actually doing a change from 30g to 55g. Then Tang did not like my water and passed away. A couple of days later my puffer showed signs of ich.
I did some research and tried the hyposilinity. I seemed to work fine. I raised my salt level after that and decided to go buy another fish. I went with a Blue Angel Koran, and three days later the Koran showed signs of Ich, it soon spread to my puffer. And there I went again I did the hyposilinity treatment. It's been a week since I last seen ich on the fins. But now i;m woried about the LIve Rock. I have 70lbs of Rock and I was wondering how bad this is for my rock. I had some featherdusters and those are dead I'm sure, and the rock is loosing color. Do you think the rock will survive the second treatment??

BethanyM
06/27/2006, 12:56 PM
how low are you going with your salinity? it is my understanding that if you get your salinity to the levels needed to kill ich then you will be killing almost everything colonizing your rocks. i think you would be better off setting up quarintine for hypo and letting your display sit fishless for a period of i think about 8 weeks.

Triggerfish
06/29/2006, 11:44 AM
my rock lost everything growing on it. the corraline also began to turn white. i wish i never took that approach.