PDA

View Full Version : Re-curing live rock...a few questions...

PVChick12
06/27/2006, 01:04 PM
Since I no longer have any fish....(look for my thread from yesterday...) I have decided I want to re-cure this live rock before getting fish (I have to wait 6 weeks anyways for all the ich in the tank to die off...) Not all of it though, because I still have some shrimp, a sea star, featherdusters & a few corals in the tank...Just some of the top layer of rock has this nasty algae on it. I do not know what kind it is, I just know it essentially covers the live rock like a carpet, and can be turkey bastered off. So I was thinking my game plan would be to first scrub the rock, then stick it in a 18 gal rubbermaid with an airstone for about 2 weeks. Questions are:
How often/how much water will I need to change?
Any other comments/suggestions, highly appreciated. =)
Thanks!

PVChick12
06/27/2006, 01:05 PM
Oh, some b/g on the tank. It was established for about a year and a half, then it was moved to my house (bought it from a friend whose going off to college) about 2 months ago.

kirstenk
06/27/2006, 06:08 PM
Need a power head in there. I would do a water change weekly. Before the WC swish the rock around in the tub to remove detritus and suck that up during the WC. Keep it in the dark.

bertoni
06/27/2006, 06:16 PM
I would just leave it in the tank and siphon out the film now now and then. Some Chaetomorpha could help export nutrients as well.