PDA

View Full Version : My new mantis

paaschjc
06/27/2006, 03:12 PM
Here is my new mantis that someone gave to me. I think she is awesome (yes I'm pretty sure it's a "she") :)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/100426New_Mantis_1_1.jpg

I think she is a Gonodactylaceus glabrous because I did not see a median carinule on her tail. Please let me know what you think. She is quite large, probably about 4" which should be about the max size for this species. She is also quite interactive and was fascinated by my green colored popsicle that I was eating while watching her. I think she thought it was an intruder :)

Gonodactylus
06/27/2006, 03:21 PM
Looks like G. glabrous.

Many gonodactyloids with a green body color are particularly aggressive towards objects that color. When I demonstrate the strike to visitors in my lab, I usually insert a green net handle into their container to get them to strike. G. g also seems not to like orange - the color of the meral spot.

Roy

paaschjc
06/27/2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks Roy. That's pretty much what I figured. They must see the color as looking like one of their own thus a threat. Wonder how she would feel about having a blue damsel in her tank. I'm afraid to try it out and risk killing the poor fish. My viridis has no problems with the damsel but he's tiny in comparison (only 2 inches and half the body width of this one).

Thurge
06/27/2006, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't worry about fish. I have a Blue Saphire Damsel and a pair of yellow tail chromis in with my G glaborus.