PDA

View Full Version : Replace bioballs in overflow with live rock?

Deweys Dad
06/27/2006, 06:26 PM
My 90 gal has an overflow that is filled with bioballs to keep the noise level down. I want to take them out because I'm sure they play a major role in the extremely high nitrates in my tank, but I'm trying to think of how to do it and what to replace them with.

I know I am only supposed to take out a handful at a time, but as I take more and more of them out it is going to get pretty loud in my living room - that is going to make it awfully hard to follow that particular rule of thumb. Once they're gone, what can I put in their place? Perhaps some liverock rubble? I don't know if that would help reduce the noise level as well as the bioballs did, but I guess it is better than nothing. But if I do this, what sort of other problems might I be bringing on? Is it wise to stack up a bunch of live rock that won't be constantly submerged? Is there a chance that will cause some of the same nitrate issues?

Steven Pro
06/27/2006, 06:27 PM
What you want is a Durso overflow. It will make your overflow quiet and won't trap debris or contribute to nitrates.

Deweys Dad
06/27/2006, 06:30 PM
I've been considering that option, and I like the fact that it will add about 10 gallons to my total water volume, but I guess part of my question should have been more clear. Will I benefit in any way from filling up my overflow with live rock rubble? Or is it just asking for trouble?

bertoni
06/27/2006, 06:32 PM
You might get some filtration from the live rock, but I always worry about trapping debris and plugging the drain with that approach.

whiteshark
06/27/2006, 06:58 PM
Plus, you have enough LR in the main display that the added filtration from the rubble would be very minimal, at best.

Sk8r
06/27/2006, 07:25 PM
Remove bioballs and other media slowly, few at a time, testing often.

Deweys Dad
06/27/2006, 07:55 PM
Testing for what in particular Sk8r?

whiteshark
06/27/2006, 07:58 PM
ammonia and trite is what i think he is suggesting testing for.

Gary Majchrzak
06/27/2006, 08:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7640877#post7640877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steven Pro
What you want is a Durso overflow. It will make your overflow quiet and won't trap debris or contribute to nitrates.
Gee whiz... Steven already said it best.