PDA

View Full Version : Too many fish for QT tank?

TellyFish
06/27/2006, 07:46 PM
I only have 3 fish, all new within 10 days.

1 Coral Beauty Angel (sm)
2 Blue Green Chromis (sm)

Is my 10g Quarentine tank going to big enough to keep them all alive for 35ish days while I treat for Ich? For reference, I've got a sweet, non-cycled, $4 sponge filter on my wicked QT setup... :(

Thanks!

kraze3
06/27/2006, 09:34 PM
I treated a CB in a 10 g tank by herself. How big is the CB and how big are the chromis. The fish could show agression towards each other in such a small tank, or they could be fine. If it were me I think i would maybe get a 20, or a rubbermaid container that is a bit bigger. Make sure you have PVC in there for the fish to hide in whatever you do.
To be sure I would go at least to 8 weeks for hypo treatment. I treated my CB for 9 weeks at 1.008.

TellyFish
06/27/2006, 10:52 PM
All fish are pretty small... CB= 2" Chromis= 1"

Theres plenty of hiding places in the 10g... but 9 weeks is a long time for the poor CB in such conditions it would seem.

Should I set up a seperate QT tank for the CB?

kraze3
06/28/2006, 06:47 AM
I think you could treat them all in one tank if it was large enough. You dont have to go to 9 weeks. its recommended to go 6-8 weeks. Personally I think 6 weeks after you see the last ich spot is fine. I think Setting up and maintaining 2 QT's is going to be harder than one larg enough to accomidate all 3 fish. However if there is any aggression youll have to seperate them, so in the end I guess it is all up to you. HTH