PDA

View Full Version : Question on hispidus angler

garvin90
06/27/2006, 08:39 PM
I will be moving my Hispidus angler to a larger home shortly and Im wondering if there is any type of trigger or filefish that could be housed with it. Currently its only tankmate right now is a fuzzy dwarf lion. The larger home's theme is macro beds, mostly caulerpas and some gracilaria. Im fully aware of the picking tendency of some fishes especially with hispidus' shaggy skin tags so that is most of my concern right there.

Monkeyfish
06/28/2006, 01:27 PM
I would NOT put any aggressive fish (especially not a trigger or filefish) in with the angler. He'll get picked on, nipped, etc. In general anglers are slow moving fish that are not aggressive, just aggressive eaters. They do best in species tanks.

garvin90
06/29/2006, 01:03 AM
So then do triggers and files develop their picking tendencies as they mature since the ones of interest to me(blue chins, niger, or sargassum triggers and tassled files) seem somewhat more shy and retiring?

Honestly this is not a make or break decision to place a fish from one of those species in as a tankmate as I was looking for something with a little flair to it. If they will really pick on my angler, I will just go back to deciding wich smaller species of lion to add. Ive narrowed that down so far to Radiata, Zebra Antennata or the blue version of the fuzzy dwarf.

Monkeyfish
06/29/2006, 02:24 PM
Triggers do tend to get increasingly aggressive with size/age. It also depends on the personality of the fish. Several people have discussed how their clown triggers are model citizens. Many others have reported how one day the fish decided to become the only inhabitant in the tank and killed everything else. Blue throats/chins and Niger triggers are 2 of the most passive triggers and MIGHT be okay with an angler.

Triggers and lions don't always mix well. Triggers sometimes like to pick/nip at the lion's fins which can result in secondary infections and stress for the lion.

garvin90
06/30/2006, 01:05 AM
So since i also have to be concerned about my lion as well, should I just stick with only adding more lions? Does the picking rule also apply to filefish, specifically the one I mentioned(tassle filefish)?

Monkeyfish
06/30/2006, 10:20 AM
Not sure about the filefish. Tassled filefish tend to be passive and not bother anyone else.