PDA

View Full Version : quick live rock question

ajm
06/27/2006, 09:24 PM
I finally found some live rock at a local petland. Being the poor college kid I am I am going to slowly add more over time but thats another story...The other day I went and bought a 6lb piece that came straight out of a tank full of other live rock. Do I still have to go through the acclimation process of keeping it in a bucket for a few weeks to allow a die off and so forth. I have already started this just a precaution but was wondering if it was really needed being that it came straight out of another tank.

kzoo
06/27/2006, 09:29 PM
As long as it was kept in salt water and there is not die off on rock, try smelling it if it smells bad it needs to be cured in a bucket,if not put it in.

Avast Marine
06/27/2006, 09:30 PM
I would not QT rock out of one of MY tanks, or one of my FREINDS tanks, but I only add base rock from the STORE with no QT. I would just leave it in the bucket for a week or to with some flow and ambient light.

ajm
06/27/2006, 09:35 PM
It seems like its going to stay in the bucket for some time. I smelled it and it doesnt smell too great. Has the "dirty ocean smell" to it pretty much.