PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia cause bleaching of montipora?

willjeff
06/27/2006, 09:54 PM
Exactly what the title says. I came home from being out of town for a few days and noticed a very small aiptasia growing right next to my monti cap frag. within 48 hrs it has totally bleached. Would this be the cause?

onehundred20
06/27/2006, 09:57 PM
they generally will only sting the contact spot, something else may have caused it to RTN

Sk8r
06/27/2006, 11:39 PM
I kind of doubt it. I have aiptasia wherever my lazy peppermint allows it to grow, and honestly have never had it sting anything very seriously. I have quite a lot of montipora, and no ill effects. I'd rather suspect alkalinity or heat, or a problem with the lights.

MCsaxmaster
06/28/2006, 12:18 AM
I'm suspicious as well that you may be seeing recession and not bleaching. Do you have a pic? That will help, though it may still be hard to tell. Can you see the polyps extending?

cj

willjeff
06/28/2006, 11:45 AM
No pic as of now but there is no polyp extension at all, and completely white.
I will have to blame myself on this one and not a pesky aiptasia. I guess with going out of town, school, and work I haven't been keeping up as I should be. I'm guessing it was the fact that I stopped dripping kalk for awhile.
It kind of sucks when my dead monti cap post is right next to a thread titled monitpora addict.