PDA

View Full Version : Advice on temp control

AcanLord
06/28/2006, 12:36 PM
Hi all
I am looking for advice. Had tank temp went over 85F b/c the chiller stoped working. Any one know a product that can shot off the MH if temp get over certain temp? Brand name and where to get them would be appreciated.

clsanchez77
06/28/2006, 12:41 PM
I use the Aquacontroller Jr for that very reason. The unit with accessories was under $200.00 Very easy to use and can be purchased at many or RC's sponsors, see the link above.

I purchased mine at Marine Depot, shipping is free when you spend more than $175.00.

The device is programed in a script language and I have mine setup (as well as the default/sample script) so that the chiller turns on when the temp is above a vertain set point, and then the MH lights turn off when the temp exceeds the next setpoint. I also have a couple of 'Max Change' statements that prevent the MH lights from turning back on too quickly. This allows the bulbs to fully cool and prevents repetitive toggling if the temperature were to settle at the setpoint.

Very Happy with the unit.

Chris

reefnetworth
06/28/2006, 12:45 PM
a thermo shut-off from www.mscdirect.com you will need thermostat wired to a control device. similur to central AC/Heat. it would be much easier to pull the MH back a couple inches. last resort, ive put ice in ziplocks and floated it. if you have SPS the temp change is rather fast and may damage. also, the shut-off on MH is not a good idea due to the refire, looses its life faster. REEF-ON!!!

moebetter
06/28/2006, 02:04 PM
on my tanks i run a medusa contoller-you plug your heater and chiller in it and it controls both of them-set it at what temp you want the tank and it will turn either on when needed-doesnt have all the bells and whistles that a neptune does-but does a great job at keeping your tank stable-

AcanLord
06/29/2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks all. Look like I will need a controller.

clsanchez77
06/29/2006, 09:06 AM
also, the shut-off on MH is not a good idea due to the refire, looses its life faster. REEF-ON!!!

I think you missed the point, the idea is not to shut the MH off as a temp control feature but to shyt them off in the event the chiller fails to cool the tank to prevent compunding the high temperature problem.

I don't know about you but I would rather loose the MH bulbs than the inhabitants of my tank.

Chris

crumbletop
06/29/2006, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7645491#post7645491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clsanchez77
I use the Aquacontroller Jr for that very reason. The unit with accessories was under $200.00

Boy, I would have loved to have gotten that deal. I suspect you may be off $100, though. The AC Jr. Control module + pH probe is less than $200, but you need a controllable power strip like the DC8. Here is a reasonable deal:

http://www.thereefstop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=223

About $250 unless you want the serial port to connect to your PC and/or a pH probe. Very reasonable deal, I might add, if you figure in pH monitoring, temp control, and light timers.

Also, nano4brains -- if your temp is climbing out of control then wouldn't you want to cut your MH lights vs crash your tank?

Jack

clsanchez77
06/29/2006, 10:08 AM
You're right, I am off $100.00 because I also through in a DC8; still worth it, have not regreted that purchase yet.

crumbletop
06/29/2006, 10:15 AM
Oh yeah. I love my AC Jr. I use it to control temp much like you outlined and the orginal poster requested :)

Jack

xtrstangx
06/29/2006, 11:05 AM
http://digitalaquatics.com

The Reefkeeper 2 can turn off MH if they tank gets above a certain temp and then waits 20 minutes after the temperature is down to refire them... this keeps it so that the bulbs don't try to fire when they are hot.

smcdonn
06/29/2006, 11:38 AM
I just got done buying 2 ranco controllers. one for my heater and one for my lights. I am doing exactly what your talking about. I have my light one set at 84 and to come back on at 80. You can get the ranco controller for about $50. I almost bought the AC jr but wanted to save some money so I bought the ranco controllers.

crumbletop
06/29/2006, 02:42 PM
I don't think the rancos will do what the AquaController Jr. or the Reefkeeper can do in keeping the halides off for a time period to allow them to cool before a restart. If your temp hovers around 84 your halides could turn on/off/on/off... The AC Jr. and RK can also turn on fans at a set temp, chiller at another, then cut lights, etc.

Jack