PDA

View Full Version : BTA on the glass how to get him off?

johno4
06/28/2006, 03:50 PM
I have a BTA that I have had for several months in a 20 gal. I recently upgraded to a 40 gal. (2 days ago). The BTA has left the rock he was on and climbed up the glass. I really wouldnt mind to much but he is about 3 inches away from a filter in take. Yes it is covered but I still dont like the fact that he is so close. What is the easiest, safest way to get him off. I tried to simply pull him but he doesnt want to let go and I dont want to tear him or stress him to much. I dont know if he is looking for more light or more flow, either way I want him off the glass, please help. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
John

JER-Z
06/28/2006, 03:55 PM
i have used a credit card to get the foot off...you have to be very careful...move very slowly just a tiny bit at a time...you use the card to get him to lift his foot off, not to scrape it off..

when he lifts his foot a little bit, move the card down a bit to get him to lift off some more of his foot....be careful and move slowly

ChunksInClemson
06/28/2006, 04:23 PM
Maybe hold a bag of ice against the glass? Just a thought!

johno4
06/28/2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the response. I'll give it a try and keep you posted.

Keep the idea's comming.

johno4
06/28/2006, 04:36 PM
I tried using a credit card. He just wont let go I think if I keep trying I will tear him. Might as well try ice.

anyone else?

Juck
06/28/2006, 04:37 PM
Stop shilly-shallying around and use a razor blade,,, 30 seconds,, done,, finished.

johno4
06/28/2006, 04:43 PM
wont the razor cut him?

johno4
06/28/2006, 04:48 PM
Juck have you actually done it with a razor blade? Im really tempted to try it, but I want to hear success stories befor I get out the razor.

Juck
06/28/2006, 05:11 PM
Yes,,, just keep the blade at about a 45 degree angle to the glass,, press the blade hard against the glass,,,,move the blade back and forth slowly as you move it under the anemone,,,the anemone will come away easily. I used to have a tank full of BTA clones,,, damn things were a pain in the arse,, always sticking to the glass,,,,I used to pick them off the glass with my fingernails,, they're tough.

johno4
06/28/2006, 05:22 PM
Ok, I just did it, hes off and is attaching to some rock that I set him on. He got a little stringy, I hope that he is alright. Il have to keep an eye on him.

Juck
06/28/2006, 05:57 PM
He'll be fine,, turn the circulation off for a while if he's having trouble attaching,, but remember,, he won't stop moving until he finds a place he likes.

johno4
06/28/2006, 07:47 PM
The circulation in the tank is pretty low I jsut ordered a seio for some more flow. I changed the rock work a little bit, hopefully he will like the spot hes in. Right now theres not much in the tank with him. I want him to pick his spot before adding more corals. Thanks for your advise. He seems to be doing fine. Time will tell.

Juck
06/28/2006, 11:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7647012#post7647012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChunksInClemson
Maybe hold a bag of ice against the glass? Just a thought!

Could be a pretty bad idea. Floating a block of ice in an aquarium to cool it down is one thing,, but pressing a bag of 32f ice against 80f glass = glass cracking due to thermic shock.

stykthyn
06/29/2006, 03:44 AM
Could be a pretty bad idea. Floating a block of ice in an aquarium to cool it down is one thing,, but pressing a bag of 32f ice against 80f glass = glass cracking due to thermic shock

not gonna happpen. the heat is spread out over too far an area. it would be different if you could take it immediately down to 30 like when you drop a lantern in the water. but a block of ice just isnt cold enough and 80 really isnt that high. take an 80 glass of water and put it in the freezer, it wont break.

anyway hope your nem does ok. I used to aim a powerhead at mine when I wanted it to move. worked most of the time.

Juck
06/29/2006, 06:54 AM
Wrong stykthyn.

>>take an 80 glass of water and put it in the
>>freezer, it wont break.

Well, doyy. A glass of water doesn't have the same thermal mass as an aquarium. I'm talking about holding a bag of ice for an extended period in the same spot.

If you don't think a 50 degree temperature differential can cause glass to crack then you don't know squat about glass.

johno4
06/29/2006, 10:23 AM
Well, I woke up this morning and the BTA is dead. Got sucked into the filter intake. It was covered, but the sponge was not up all the way and he was sucked in the crack. Im so PO'd.

Anemone
06/29/2006, 12:44 PM
Sorry John.

If you ever get a bta on the glass again, your thumbnail is the perfect tool to remove it. Just slowly scrape the edge of the foot up and then peel it away. Very easy.

Goos luck with any future anems.

Kevin