PDA

View Full Version : mushrooms

Lishoop6
06/28/2006, 05:58 PM
what do you feed a mushroom
and how low and how high of light amounts can they thrive in

ladyfsu
06/29/2006, 01:30 PM
I don't have that much experience but...at school we have mushrooms in tanks with regular old aquarium lights...not even pc's...and they are growing great and multiplying. Some of the shrooms we have just seem to filter what they need with the phytoplankton we give them. Some of the others love to eat tiny pieces of zooplankton or shrimp I give them and immediately fold up over the piece to eat it.

As far as I can tell, the mushrooms hardly need any special light (at least the cheapies I have). If you are new to it, I'd say give it a try.

IslandCrow
07/01/2006, 11:05 PM
Mushrooms are a great starter coral. I don't think most of them actually need to be fed, though there are certainly a few that will take food. The biggest thing to avoid as far as lighting goes is moving them too quickly to brighter light. When I upgraded from PCs to T-5s, my mushrooms shriveled up until I moved them down to the bottom of my tank. After they acclimated, I slowly moved them back up where they were originally, and they're doing great.

Lishoop6
07/02/2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info guy's i now have two green stripped mushrooms and a small frag of yellow polps and they seem to be doing great even growing

sassyfish
07/03/2006, 12:57 PM
Mine are fine with no feeding. They are spreading fast.

HornetMech242
07/04/2006, 11:38 PM
Some shrooms will take food. My hairy mushrooms will close up really quick on some misys. So I know they will take it.

Chris

only4fudge
07/08/2006, 06:45 PM
I dont feed mine anything, other than the crap that floats around the tank ( phyto, pellets )

One of the hairy mushrooms, decided to split and now I have more shrooms!

The blue discos have been laying many babies, and there was 1 tiny mushroom I picked up and mounted on a rock. It now has a happy home there :D

Just be warned, they close up a lot when something new is introduced.