PDA

View Full Version : HELP..pea soup

buzzbait00
06/28/2006, 07:37 PM
Ok!
I have a algea bloom and my water is now pea soup.I have about 4in of visibility.Some say water changes will help other say that it will make algea thrive more.Mariner said it will go on its own.Well its getting worse and my patience is running thin!Some say cut doun on light and others say no it will just come back.
Any more ideas?
Thanks
Buzz
75g, imperior 400 ,2 550 power heads
nitrate-0
amo-0
nitrite-0
ph-8.2
salienty-1.024(im slowly bringing it up)

1-yellow tang
1-clown
1-blue yellow tail damesel
1-anenome
a few pieces of coral
all doing well!

bertoni
06/28/2006, 07:39 PM
Well, you're probably seeing a phytoplankton bloom. It might go away on its own, but some water changes will likely help. Not always, but usually. If you could borrow a UV filter for a few days, they usually clear up a tank quickly. Other than that, a micron filter might help.

It will likely go away in a few weeks on its own.

Sk8r
06/28/2006, 07:43 PM
Bertoni's dead on. UV or a cannister with a micron pad or a diatom filter. It will have that water clear in no time and you can export that phyto soup to the trash bin, along with all its nutrient excess and whatever it contains. Pity it's not in a bottle in the fridge---you've got some nice clam-food there.

buzzbait00
06/28/2006, 07:53 PM
hey I have a magnum 330 not hooked up can i get a micron or a diatom filter for that?If so what brand do you suggest?Im a newbie and dont know anybody with a uv filter

bertoni
06/28/2006, 08:14 PM
I don't know much about Magnum units, but most of those types of setups do allow a "water polishing" filter that's pretty fine. The manufacturer might supply such a product.