PDA

View Full Version : Crocea Mucus

tripstank
06/28/2006, 11:11 PM
Can anyone tell me what the long strings of clear mucus coming my crocea clam might be about? All my water params are normal and it is under 500 (2X250) watts MH in my 58 gal oceanic. It is really high in the tank on rock with very little current.

mbbuna
06/29/2006, 08:14 AM
need more info.

where is it comming from?

when does it do it?

can you post a pic?

tripstank
06/29/2006, 10:02 AM
I can post a pic this weekend, when I go back to the tank. It is about 2 hours away at the moment. It seems to do it when the lights are on and the mucus seems to be coming from under the mantle folds. It seems to do it when the lights are on. When I was at the LFS they had some croceas doing it there are as well and they said it is normal. I have had this clam for almost 2 yrs now. Since I have owned it, it has excreted such mucus in the past, but not for such extended ammount of time. Other than that,it looks as healthy as can be. Great Extension, colrs are bright and vibrant, and I can notice shell growth.

mbbuna
06/29/2006, 01:17 PM
its hard to say what it could be but if you've had it for 2 years and its doing great otherwise i wouldn't worry too much about it unless it starts showing other symptoms

humbugy
06/30/2006, 10:27 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=873230

could it be one of these, i think i have one, on one of my clams, strings of clear mucus

aphenes
06/30/2006, 10:35 AM
It could be a vermetid (solitary) snail, though it should be obvious by it's spiral shell on the tridacna shell.
I personally suspect conditions are ideal for calcification, and you are seeing a horizontal line of gas blow off from the calcification process. I don't know what the gas is (carbon dioxide?), but it noramally shows as streamers of bubbles.
You will then notice nice new bright white shell where the mantle touches the shell.
Good luck!

spoiledcats
06/30/2006, 08:13 PM
I personally suspect conditions are ideal for calcification, and you are seeing a horizontal line of gas blow off from the calcification process. I don't know what the gas is (carbon dioxide?), but it noramally shows as streamers of bubbles.

Wow, I never knew they did that! Mine was sliming quite a bit for about a month. I've read that they dispel larger particulate matter in this slime, but I didn't know that this occurred during growth periods also. I've had my crocea for about 4 months and it has grown around 1/4". Well, 4 or 5 ridges, whatever that works out to. Looks like 1/4" to me. Now it isn't sliming, so does that mean it won't be growing?

tripstank
07/01/2006, 02:25 PM
If it is a snail, how do you get rid of it?