PDA

View Full Version : How Many Snails/Hermit Crabs?

alvarez
06/29/2006, 12:41 AM
I have a 75 Gallon saltwater with 2 clown fish that is in perfect parameters... My clowns are doing great... My Turbo snails are getting rid of all the algae on the glass that had formed and the Brown Algae has departed.

I have heard many mention 1 crab for every inch of the aquarium... I have not heard if that takes into consideration having snails etc? I have 2 nessarius, 3 Cerith snails, 2 turbo snails, and about 4 Hermit Crabs (2 small and 2 big)

What is the requirements for a 75g cleanup crew?

sir_dudeguy
06/29/2006, 01:20 AM
wow, your turbos actually eat the stuff? mine just pass the algae right by. anyways...
i would say that one crab per inch is way too many...unless you're talkin bout hermits? even then, i'd say about 20 or so should be fine, specially since your bioloade is very small. I would leave it at what you got right now, since the only fish are the clowns. If you were, in the future, to be getting more fish, then i would say add the crabs slowly, just a few at a time, and wait a couple weeks before putting more in, just to make sure that there is no starvation issues....if you add 20 crabs right away, they would quickly consume all the leftover food, and then have nothing, but if you add them slowly, you'd be able to stop adding if you notice any dieing (from non-fight related deaths i mean)

Right now i've got the exact same cleanup in my 55, except that i dont have any ceriths, but i need more nassarius and stuff to stir up the sand...and my turbos are pretty much useless, sinse they dont eat any algae...they just eat fish food.