PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about RO filters !

delfinparis
06/29/2006, 10:12 AM
I have a 30 gallon reef with a Coralife Aqualight dual linear strip. Even though I have it raised on pegs, at least a gallon to two evaporates every day (and I have four fans blowing across the water)! I only have the light on for 8 hours a day, and with the fans, the water temp is steady at 78.

Since I'm lazy and really don't want to keep filling my jugs at the fish shop and pay $.75 per gallon, plus I live on the fourth floor of my condo building.

I was looking in to buy an RO system, but I'm not sure how they work - would I have to totally disable one of my faucets or sinks, or could it be used in conjunction with a bathroom or kitchen sink?

My guess is that you really need a dedicated sink just for the RO system, but since I live in a condo, I would need to modify a bathroom sink if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Delfin Paris

Nikon_Guy
06/29/2006, 11:07 AM
Most R/O units come with a nifty little thing called a self-piercing valve. It clamps to either copper or PVC and pierces the pipe to provide water flow to the unit. No plumbing required.

You just have to have room under whichever sink for the unit to sit.

NG

MCary
06/29/2006, 11:08 AM
There are lots of ways to attach a RO system to the water. Most hobby units come standard with a hose type female connector. A faucet adapter can be used so that connector connects directly to the faucet. There are also faucet adapters where you can connect the feed tube of the RO to the adapter and when you want to make RO water you just pull a knob.

A RO system can be hard plumbed.

A saddle valve can be used to pierce a water line and deliver water to the unit. These are the same as the ones used to feed icemakers and are available at all home improvement stores. You would probably need a separate saddle valve for the waste line if you wanted to tap into the drain. Then the unit can be mounted into your sink cabinet.

Mike

reefnetworth
06/29/2006, 11:13 AM
not really. www.petsmart.com has one you screw on the tap itself. its about $39.00 and you can buy replacement cartriges for them. on the site print the page and they honor their own coupons. 3 gallons a day is alot for 30 gal. try less fans. you should be loosing about 1/4-1/2 max. unless you keep windows open 24-7 or you are tryin to keep pH and temp control this way. REEF-ON!!!