PDA

View Full Version : Treating Red Bugs with Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure

rocknut
06/29/2006, 10:40 AM
Has anyone taken this route instead of Interceptor to eliminate Red Bugs? Trying to get a little advice before I go pick some up this weekend. I had this recommended from a local reefer that I got some frags
from, and have no doubt that it will work, but want to be sure I get some first hand experience with the treatment.
The store I am going to pick it up from said that it would be necessary to remove the frags and treat them in quarantine for 5 days. Does this sound about right? I’m thinking I’ll basically have to setup a separate tank to do the treatment in. My problem isn’t very bad, I only have three frags that are in need of treatment (blue-green Acro frags), and I am continuing to get great growth rates on 2 of the 3. I could use a 5 gallon Rubbermaid container, and a small skimmer ( I have an ASM mini skimmer that I could use) as a quarantine treatment setup.
I just want to be sure that this is the best way to go. I only have 25 gallons of total water, and a total of about 7 frag pieces, so I had considered just treating the whole tank with Interceptor, but hate the thought of killing all the copepods, etc.
The frags that I do have are growing like weeds however, and I want to be sure I don’t screw those up.
Also, I realize that there have probably been tons of posts about this before, but I have had zero luck trying to access the “search” function, so I apologize if this topic has been covered before.
Thanks in advance!
Rocky

The DOC
06/29/2006, 10:52 AM
Don't know never tried it...but interceptor is 100%! It would be very easy to q-tank and tread...I q-tank treated over 100 acro colonys....with interceptor

Doc

clkwrk
06/29/2006, 10:54 AM
Hey Rocky ! You should beable to get away with one dip with TMPCC and after the dip blow the frags off really good and have a look see if any are still hanging on . IMO you have very few frags so I wouldn't treat the tank with interceptor . If anything use interceptor in a bucket.

You also know my stance on interceptor since you have seen my tank and a couple of those rb frags are from me ;)

The DOC
06/29/2006, 10:58 AM
Oh ya ol' clockwork...sure don't like dog heart worm meds in his sytem...lol...can't blame him though....

Its kinda funny...every red bug thread either I post or clocky does...we are like fire and ice on red bug threads...I love it!..lol..

But take his advice its good advice...I just like given him a hard time now.....always showing off his flashy red bugged acros...making everybody drool.....lol

You know what up Clocky!
Doc

rocknut
06/29/2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the advice, Chris (and everyone else too, or course). I was going to just send you a PM, but I feel like I’m always bugging you about something, and thought I’d try to leave you alone…:) It would definitely be easier for me to use Tropic Marin because I can pick it up locally, not sure where to start with the Interceptor. Especially if you think I can just do some dips. By the way, that Bird’s nest I got from you has grown like a half an inch in the last three weeks, I can almost see it growing!

clkwrk
06/29/2006, 11:40 AM
NP Rocky I like helping out :D

The reason I say blow them off really well afterwards and inspect is because IMO the reason lots of people complain about reinfections. IMO it is caused by them buggers having their head buried into the flesh during treatment making them immune IMO . I believe that all it takes is a few and the prob will be back . Same can also be said for TMPCC. But IMO treating outside the tank multiple times if needed is better than treating your whole tank mulitple times.

Oh yeah that birds nest is a very very quick grower I watch it daily also . I got it as a see thru 2.5 inch ball and now its hard to see thru it and its got tobe 4" or more in dia now .

This is march 16th
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/o2manytnks/new-peach-yellow-tip-birdsn.jpg

and may 8th
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/o2manytnks/180/180-may-8th-g.jpg

impur
06/29/2006, 01:26 PM
TMPCC will work fine as stated. I would double the dosage recommended on the box though. I just did a dip last week at the recommended dosage and it did not kill all the redbugs. Yesterday i dipped a frag in 150ml water and 2 pumps of TMPCC, it killed all the redbugs in 20 min.

The DOC
06/29/2006, 01:57 PM
I smart reefer had just recommened this stuff to me...I'm sure gona try it...of course overkill Doc will sure double the dosage....

Doc

rocknut
06/29/2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll give it shot over the weekend.

impur
06/29/2006, 04:04 PM
Let us know how it goes!!

bond007069
06/29/2006, 06:30 PM
TM dip did not work for me, i eventually did Interceptor, thats the real deal

From just looking at TM dip, it looks like concentrated iodine.

Can anyone confirm or refute this?

kirstenk
06/29/2006, 09:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7654695#post7654695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bond007069
TM dip did not work for me, i eventually did Interceptor, thats the real deal

From just looking at TM dip, it looks like concentrated iodine.

Can anyone confirm or refute this?

It did not work for me either and my tank became infested again. My bottle of it does not state it is for RB's.

From their website.

Key features of PRO-CORAL CURE:

- Effective iodine preparation against parasitic flatworms that can be found on corals, especially Acropora.

Nowhere on their website could I find where they said it kills RB's.

impur
06/30/2006, 10:26 AM
At what dosage did you dip it at? The recommended dosage is on the low side IME, you need to at least double it to see results.

DarkXerox
06/30/2006, 11:04 AM
So is it a different iodine makeup than lugols? I thought that people found lugols to be ineffective against RB's?

clkwrk
06/30/2006, 11:12 AM
I would say it is different in some manner because people have also said lugols doesn't kill AEFW's and TMPCC does.

clkwrk
06/30/2006, 11:13 AM
Also for me to get the correct dosage I always waste the first pump so I can get full pumps after that.

DarkXerox
06/30/2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah I guess that it must be different, however if it has some sort of drug in it (like levasimole) they would have to list it by law right?

impur
06/30/2006, 12:27 PM
Its made in Germany or something, not sure if that would still apply?

Chads29
06/30/2006, 04:41 PM
A friend of mine had some corals with red bugs he noticed prior to putting in his system. So I called another very good friend who highly suggested a heavy dose of lugal's dip. He tried the lugal's dip and the red bugs fell off the coral quickly.

When he put these in a quarantine tank they showed no signs of red bugs after close to 9 months. Now he has the corals in his display and the coral looks better than ever.

Good Luck

Mchava
06/30/2006, 05:32 PM
I have also done rb dips with TMPCC and it works. I use two pumps on a 16oz cup and let it sit for abut 20min and they all fall off. So I would say yes it does kill RB's

fishdoc11
06/30/2006, 10:35 PM
Interceptor is cheaper:)

I have treated a few new frags with TMPCC and have seen all kinds of stuff fall off but no red bugs(not saying there were any).

IMO since you have only 3 frags treating outside the tank with Interceptor a couple or 3 times would seem to be as close to a sure thing as you could get with how you want to go about it.

Chris

rocknut
07/05/2006, 08:53 AM
Just to give an update, I did the treatment using Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure on Saturday afternoon, and now 4 days later it looks like it worked. I used 3 pumps in a container of 300 ml of water, and blew them off really good using a powerhead after the treatment, before putting them back into place. Polyp extension looked better by later that afternoon, and I haven't seen any more bugs yet. I'll just keep crossing my fingers...

Pyrrhus
07/05/2006, 09:22 AM
keep in mind that the RB's can swim and sometimes they bail off a coral into the rockwork, if you let your tank go without acros for 5 days the Rb's in the tank will starve and you will only need to do one dip...skip

bond007069
07/05/2006, 02:28 PM
I happen to think that using excessive amounts of squirts of TM, cant be good for the acro.
Excessive Iodone is pretty toxic.
how much is too much?

The instructions says 1 squirt per 200 ml's

From most accounts i have seen/read using small amounts of Interceptor has no negative effects to the acro, if dipped

impur
07/05/2006, 04:39 PM
Some people have a hard time getting interceptor.

TMPCC treats other pests as well such as AEFW.

clkwrk
07/05/2006, 05:33 PM
and sea spiders

Pyrrhus
07/05/2006, 11:49 PM
its almost like cloramphenicol for coral...