PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Suggestions Please

jhorricks
06/29/2006, 11:21 AM
I purchased used 200 gal. tank about a year ago with dimensions 60Lx36Wx22H, very different dimensions. The current lighting is 3 400 watt 20k halides built into the hood. To me this seems like serious overkill for such a shallow tank. As well the tank is so wide that it intensely lights the center but the front and back to not receive near as much light. I am reconsidering selling off the halide system and going with something more efficient that creates less heat. I am keeping mostly softies, LPS, some SPS may be a possiblity in the future as well. Not sure what would be best, whether it be T5s, VHOs, PCs, or lower watt halides. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

reefnetworth
06/29/2006, 11:24 AM
raise the halides will cover more bottom surface area. also IMO i would place some actinics or 50/50's (PC) front and rear. hope this helps, REEF-ON!!!

jhorricks
06/29/2006, 11:39 AM
I have considered that but essentially it would be nice to just shave down the electric bill not to mention how much heat the damn things release into the house and the cost to replace the bulbs.

Qwiv
06/29/2006, 11:52 AM
I would change out your 400 watt ballasts to 250 watts. Then I would see if there is anything I can do with the reflectors to get more spread from the hallides. I would then put a T5 OR VHO along the front and back.

I would use a high par bulb for the 250 watt MH, like a 10k or similar pending on the color you like you tank. The VHO or T5 will even out the light and bring more blue into the tank to offset the high par bulbs.

As you get more corals, it is actually nice to not have a tank that is evenly lit. Some corals like more light, while others like low light or something in between. With mixed lighting, you have more options. Use the bright spots from the MH to accent a part of your tank and the shady parts in between to accent shadows. You can make your tank look bigger and deeper this way. Think of it as a movie set.

If you don't like the mixed lighting, put T5's over your tank. Then if you need more light for SPS, you can just add more bulbs.

jhorricks
06/29/2006, 12:02 PM
Thats is very true. Do you think that 175 watts would be enough or would 250s be the better bet?

jhorricks
06/29/2006, 03:00 PM
Anyone??? Would 175 watts be sufficient for a tank with a 22 inch depth???

Qwiv
06/29/2006, 05:48 PM
Depends on what you have in the tank and the amount of growth you are looking for.