PDA

View Full Version : Mixing clowns - Large GSM, small GSM and adding a medium Ocellaris clown

chrisguy
06/29/2006, 02:10 PM
I have a 120 gal display with three anemones, a large Sebae and two GBTAs with a pair of gold striped maroon clowns. They are a fairly happy couple. The larger is MUCH larger than the other. The larger tends to stay in the Sebae while the smaller moves between the two GBTAs. They dont "hang out" much and I rarely see the larger acting agressive to the smaller.

I have a second tank for frags that I'd like to break down. This tank also has a couple fish. One of the fish is I beleive an Ocellaris clown. I got it from a fellow reefer that got out of the hobby.

So my question is, can I move the Ocellaris to the display tank or am I asking for trouble? The Ocellaris is "medium" sized compared to the GSMs.

dantodd
06/29/2006, 09:31 PM
You are asking for trouble. Clown pairs will usually attack any other mature fish in the tank. Maroons are well known as the most aggressive of the clownfishes. Ocellaris are amongst the least aggressive of the clowns.

120 is a big tank but I doubt it is large enough for this situation in the long run.

SVXH6
06/29/2006, 09:34 PM
dont do it Chris, they will definately kill it..

dantodd
06/29/2006, 09:50 PM
Sort of like putting an old appletalk machine on an ethernet network filled with hubs. It might work for a while but trouble will follow.

chrisguy
06/30/2006, 05:26 AM
Dan I love the analogy.

I did some more reading last night and found exactly what you guys are saying. It's trouble waiting to happen.

Guess I'll have to decide between keeping the tank running or selling/trading the fish.

Thanks all!!

Loralie
06/30/2006, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't mix any other clown with Goldbar Maroon's. My female is a good 6" long and gives the purple tang a run for his money. I do however have a mated pair of Perc's in my 125 with a Black Saddle Back clown that has paired with a Clarkii....weird combo. I haven't had any problems with these 3 types of clowns together, however I do have several "Hosts" for my clowns in this system

dantodd
06/30/2006, 10:26 PM
after I read your occupation I thought that might be a good analogy. Having done network "stuff" at University 15 years ago I know all about those damn apples.....