PDA

View Full Version : wiring leds?? help

HartfordWhalers
06/29/2006, 06:39 PM
Ok so im going to make a tank and have LEDs as the lighting.
Im going to have 150Blue to 75white -- 2:1 ratio, for my 2.5 gallon

Im using an old computer circuit board to place the LEDS in. Does nayone know exactly how to wire... i know you need solder but do you take any wire to link and solder over or just solder, also does anyone know of a power supply that would work. I have 12v ac adapters but i dont want 12 of them plugged in. Anyone have a better source to use????

~Andrew

wetWolger
06/29/2006, 07:41 PM
is this for a reef???

Also wiring LED's is not hard....obviously since it is a diode you can only put the electricty in one side of the LED, and out the other or it wont work. You will also need to calculate the resistance you need to add. It depends how your wiring your LEDs as to how you want your resistors to be setup. One thing to note is offten LED's of diffrent spectrums don't do well when wired in series (sometimes it works, sometimes you can get problems down the road).

HartfordWhalers
06/29/2006, 08:40 PM
yeah just for softies though

wetWolger
06/29/2006, 08:58 PM
well you should do some more research....i don't think that will be enough light

and you know that white LED's are not really white? An led can only do one spectrum so a White LED is accusally flashing back and foruth from two spectrums.

I would do some more rearch.

I also imagine you will want a few green and a few red LED's in there. I don't think your getting enough spectrum to satasfy the needs for corals.