PDA

View Full Version : Turbo snails

Capt. Nemo
06/29/2006, 07:26 PM
I've heard that turbo snails are great at eating hair algea. However, do they also eat coralline algea? I'm considering if I should get some snails for my hair algea, but that would depend on if they would also eat the beautiful corrallline algae on my LR. How large do they get? Are they capable of knocking over LR? Thanks.

Gary

crustin
06/29/2006, 07:28 PM
they will not eat coraline, great hair eaters, will knock small rocks over

angelsj247
06/29/2006, 07:29 PM
mine are pretty big.. and if your lr is not sturdy then ya the could knock some over.. mine dont however but they do push the themometer around.. not sure bout the coraline, my tank is fairly new so i dont have much.

[17]shawn[17]
06/29/2006, 07:30 PM
i got 4 in my 20 ,they havent eaten any coralline algea yet i dont think they do, they do a GREAT job with the hair algea

Capt. Nemo
06/29/2006, 07:53 PM
Sounds like my corralline would be safe. Not too sure about the rock. Not that the rock is small or light, but that some of the rock is used in forming a bridge and this may not be sturdy enough to withstand a large snail. How big do these snails get?

angelsj247
06/29/2006, 08:01 PM
look in my gallery.. i have lots of bridges and there not really sturdy at all, they havent knocked over any rocks..yet that is.
right now mine is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches.

Divetime
06/30/2006, 10:58 AM
I just purchased 2 large mexican turbo snail for my system and they are all over the place eating algae. I have noticed that these larger snails will knock some small rock around if not secure. I think their big shells just get in the way.

Not to steal the thread but does anyone know what eats snail poop? :eek: My tank is bare bottom & these things produce like crazy