PDA

View Full Version : Feeding and Coral Color

jeffyounggren
06/30/2006, 07:37 AM
I have a 180 with both LPS and SPS (Oh my God) and the color of my corals is not good. They are growing and the water conditions are fine 1.025 salinity, 425 CA, no nitrates or phosphates, skimmer, 1000 watts of halide/PC's and a skimmer. So, I am worried that I am not addressing the nutrition needs well enough. I feed plankton/primereef/mysisshrimp, etc once per day and even dose the tank with slight iodine and Stront. I am aware that some say with a ca reactor that is not necessary but I am a bit desperate and wonder if that might help.

So, any creative thoughts about how to draw out the color with food or additives. OH, photo period is about ten hours with PC's and 7 with halides which are a mix of 2 14K bulbs and on 10K bulb in center.

Thanks

Jeff

Snarkys
08/21/2006, 09:47 AM
food high in color pigments will enhance the color that is already there.

MCary
08/21/2006, 11:39 AM
SPS should not need supplemental feeding. They can live fine on light, fish poop, and money. The color of the coral will be determined by the light. The color is algae. Algae does not care what the coral is eating. I get the best color formation from 10k metal halides although the 14k gives better color viewing.

Tu Ku
08/21/2006, 11:46 AM
You have all this light, but how old are your bulbs? Your pc bulbs should be replaced every half year to 3/4 of a year and your halides definately every year. It makes a huge difference when you're keeping up on this. The colors will develop and show much better if the light spectrum stays relatively constant.