PDA

View Full Version : Bristle worm ??'s

Crusty Old Shellback
06/30/2006, 08:56 AM
Ok got a ? or two.

I know that bristle worms are supposed to be a good thing for the tank as they clean up things. My question is when do they go from friend to foe?

I found a nice size one in my sump the other day that is about 1/2 inch wide and 5" long. Nice bright pink color. Just wondering if I should put him back in the sump, main tank, or get rid of.

I found him the hard way, with my fingers. OUCH!. I am moving my tank and was taking the LR out of my sump. Digging in the rubble on the bottom, I grabbed him between my fingers without knwoing it until it was too late. I must have had a million little bristles in between my fingers from him.

So when do they get too big and become a nusance? Or should I just put him back in the sump where he won't bother anything? I keep a bunch of LR in my sump.

Red Serpent
06/30/2006, 09:13 AM
I would leave it in the sump. They are great cleaner of any uneaten foods, its size says he is doing a good job. It will never make it back into your main tank because of the return pump so the size of that worm does not matter. Is you LR in the sump the same that is in the tank? If so watch your coral for signs of damage. No damage no reason to worry. If there is constant new damage time to stay up late and identify your attacker.

Crusty Old Shellback
06/30/2006, 09:23 AM
No damage to my corals. I know there are some more smaller worms in the main tank as I've seen them. I have LR that I got from three different RC members. I just put the smaller peices in the sump. And if he wanted, he could make it thru my hammerhead return pump. A blue tail damsel did with no damage. ;)

Red Serpent
06/30/2006, 09:43 AM
Wow luck fish. If the worm has food no reason to travel.

Sk8r
06/30/2006, 09:53 AM
I have several 10 inchers in with my lps and sps, and they're no tribble at all.