PDA

View Full Version : flat worms

lennyd19
06/30/2006, 04:14 PM
Iwas wondering what the effect brown flat worms have on the reef tank. Also if I was to use flat worm exit would it have a profound effect on my tanks inhabitants! Thanks.

lennyd19
06/30/2006, 04:15 PM
I forgot I put in a psyidellic mandrine because they are supposed to eat these flat worms but I have not seen him even attempt to eat them.

Vincerama2
06/30/2006, 04:58 PM
I tried to see if my flatworms would die off on their own. They didn't and became wall to wall (and on the wall) carpetting. I siphoned them out and still they came (cuz you can't ever get them all). Finally I "nuked" my tank with FWE, and am glad I did.

Side effects? My snails didn't like it (the cerith snails all fell off the glass) but they all (as far as I could tell) survived. It could have been the toxin released by the FW as they died too. Who can say?

My advice is that if you have just a FEW FW, you should siphon them out as you see them. If they START to get out of hand, then FWE them quickly. You do NOT want to FWE them when they are in mass quantities because they will be all over surfaces that you can't find them and when they die, they will poison your tank. If you have even 2 flatworms...if you leave them be, you will have MILLIONS of them later.

V

johngeb
06/30/2006, 06:09 PM
There are many animals that can be harmful to your tank that will grow in time and have an effect on your corals. This hobby is a learning experience on an ongoing basis. There are thousands of known and unknown in the ocean and infect in your tank because your taking a part of the ocean and adding this to your mini reef. This is also a trial and error hobby as well knowing and not knowing what may end up in your tank and will and will not harm others in your tank.

Your need to keep close eye on your reef and know what your reef is doing. In time you will but there will be mysterious deaths that you need to research and find the cause because adding new.

Responsible Reef keepers like this will save our ever dieing reefs. in our world. Keep researching, keeping motoring your reef and have fun too but save as many as you can. We all will be saving our worlds reefs in whole someday

That’s what were here for and to enjoys the beauty of our reefs oceans.

John

highquality
06/30/2006, 06:14 PM
nicely put!

lennyd19
06/30/2006, 06:29 PM
thanks for the insight. My only concern is this is in my sh tank and I have no were else to put them, But i guess I will have to think of something.

Broog
06/30/2006, 06:33 PM
FLATWORM CONTROL (http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=313&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4)

You can try one of these little creatures, I have never had a flatworm problem in the past so have never tried one of these personally, someone else may be able to give you some insight on them. Of course if they deplete your flatworms no more food for the Nudibranch.