PDA

View Full Version : best hang on skimmer

george1098
06/30/2006, 05:20 PM
hi guys
what's the best hang on skimmer goin these days?
are the red sea berlins ok?

s3aL
06/30/2006, 06:00 PM
You said nothing about price so im just showing you the best.

http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/mce600.php
:cool:

travisurfer
06/30/2006, 06:01 PM
you got it!

chip721
07/07/2006, 09:14 PM
I've owened 3 different HOT skimmers. The best of the bunch for me, is my MCE600.

LBCBJ
07/07/2006, 09:34 PM
Save $300, get an AquaC Remora. MCE600's do not perform nearly enough to command that price. The same 3 MCE600 users always chime in time and time again with their skimmate pics, not exactly what you call a majority.

s3aL
07/07/2006, 09:45 PM
Ignore ^^^^ guy. He doesnt even own both nor have owned both so he does not have a valid answer to this question.

The DeltecMCE600 truely is the best "HOB" skimmer avaliable. Now in this post, price wasnt even a question. If you said, what is the best HOB skimmer under "200.00" then you would look into aquaC or coralife skimmers. As far as the "best", its the Deltec.

:cool:

LBCBJ
07/07/2006, 09:56 PM
I see a Deltec MCE600 in action Monday through Friday, probably for much longer than you've had yours. My Remora works just as well or better. Do you own an AquaC? My answer is just as valid as yours

I'm a big fan/promoter of Deltec products, I just think the MCE600 is the one product they make that is not up to par.

chadfarmer
07/07/2006, 09:58 PM
i have owned both

the winner is the one everyone talks about

chadfarmer
07/07/2006, 10:00 PM
chip721 look what he wrote

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=880610

LBCBJ
07/07/2006, 10:31 PM
And look what he wrote

"MattG - what did you dislike about your deltec? I was considering upgrading from an AquaC"

"It constantly overflowed, tons of microbubbles, skimmed very little into the collection cup. It would cake up thick before entering the cup but what actually made it in was tea colored at best. It was very difficult to get a happy medium between too dry and too wet. The collection cup makes the skimmate look much darker then it actually is when poured into a clear glass.

I was also VERY unhappy with the customer service I received. Deltec was nice on the phone and willing to send parts to try and fix the thing but I had a lot of trouble getting ahold of them and the problems were never fixed. The answers I was for the reason for the problems were absolutely ludicrous IMO.

I should add I have used two different MCE600's now and just about every other skimmer out there between work or personal use. Before anyone says it, it was not an 'user adjustment' error.

For the money the coralife is hard to beat IMO."

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=874335

mg426
07/07/2006, 10:36 PM
I had an Aqua C worked great for me

sjm817
07/07/2006, 10:40 PM
So LBCBJ, you are now happy with your Remora? You seemed unhappy with it before.

chip721
07/07/2006, 10:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7701108#post7701108 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LBCBJ
The same 3 MCE600 users always chime in time and time again with their skimmate pics, not exactly what you call a majority. LBCBJ: Excuse me for "chiming in." I was just offering up an opinion based on "my experience" with different skimmers. IMO Deltec is wayyyy expensive and a lot of that has to do with a German manufactured product and a poor dollar to Euro exchange rate. I'm certainly not bashing Aqua-C. I'm currently running two (2) standard Remora's with Maxi-Jet's on 2 different tanks. I also own a Remora Pro (ran w/Mag3 and Mag5). I'm really not partial or boastful about one or the other. In many regards I agree with you; Remora's are decent, reasonably priced skimmers, and their customer service is excellent. But from my experience using both skimmer's on the same 54g, with the same bio-load, I have to respectfully disagree with you. FWIW and IMO, a Remora simply doesn't perform like a Deltec. Peace. "Gone Fishing."

s3aL
07/07/2006, 10:45 PM
Sux to be him lol.

Mine has NEVER overflowed, not even once! Also when valve open at 12:00, you get little to no bubbles. Dont even have to adjust the cup anymore, Just set it to the lowest point. I get more nasty thick skimmate a week then I would ever see in 1-2 months from my old Remora. Then when I did get skimmate, it just watery tea like skimmate. AquaC remoras are a joke COMPAIRED to MCE600's. Compaired to other hang on skimmers, I can see the AquaC Remora's holding its own.
:thumbsup:

dhnguyen
07/07/2006, 11:32 PM
george1098-

Since you have 90g tank with a 40g sump already, I wouldn't waste your money on a HOT skimmer. No matter how good it is as HOT, it will never be able to compare against a decent in sump skimmer IME.

As mentioned previously the best value in sump skimmer currently is the Reef Octopus. Cheaper than the Deltec MCE600 and will work much better as well.

But of course it is your wallet so... :)

TTU_Reefer
07/08/2006, 01:43 AM
sea clone? :)

its late im bored. Honestly id go with the Aqua-C...but im cheap. It isnt as good, but close! IMO/E

Nano Chris
07/08/2006, 03:12 AM
Ouch, that price tag hurts my wallet, i went with the coralife ss.

LBCBJ
07/08/2006, 07:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7701481#post7701481 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
So LBCBJ, you are now happy with your Remora? You seemed unhappy with it before.

You caught me. No, I was just trying to milk some detail from unhappy MCE600 users with a seemingly unbiased question :D

Take into account the MCE600 is over twice the size of a Remora and is has no ability to skim the surface, which was a big con for me

sjm817
07/08/2006, 09:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7702350#post7702350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LBCBJ
You caught me. No, I was just trying to milk some detail from unhappy MCE600 users with a seemingly unbiased question :D

Take into account the MCE600 is over twice the size of a Remora and is has no ability to skim the surface, which was a big con for me
Oh, so you are just trolling? Kind of like your post post in the T5 growth thread? (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=728429&perpage=25&pagenumber=11)
FWIW, I have yet to see anyone who has actually used both not be thoroughly impressed with the improvement in performance. I do agree that the lack of a surface skimming option is a sorely needed option and would make the best HOB skimmer available even better. You could easily enough use a skimmer box on the MCE to get surface skimming. Nothing difficult. At least there is no huge ugly Mag3 pump hanging in your tank that needs to be hidden with one.

DeltecRules
07/08/2006, 10:33 AM
Ill chime in, I have used the mce600 for the past 8 months and I absolutely love it. I have ran the remora pro, coralife super skimmer, ASM G-1, Euroreef, and this little Deltec outskimmed them all. I ran this skimmer on a 55 gallon to a 35 gallon hex and never had any suface film, but a surface skimmer would be nice. The bubbles this skimmer produces are absolutely tiny, no large bubbles at all. I always had this skimmer set with the collection cup all the way down and all I ever got was mud skimate. I sold it and have a Deltec AP600 on the way for a larger system I am putting up. I always wanted to try a recirculation skimmer. Would I buy this skimmer again if I had too? Heck yeah I would.

LBCBJ
07/08/2006, 11:05 AM
Exactly, some people are so uptight here I sometimes just like to write things like that to get some debate going...I always know what the result will be, just like right here. I'm glad to see you've done some research on me :smokin:

sjm817
07/08/2006, 11:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7703184#post7703184 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LBCBJ
Exactly, some people are so uptight here I sometimes just like to write things like that to get some debate going...I always know what the result will be, just like right here. I'm glad to see you've done some research on me :smokin:
Good to know. After awhile, people see who are trolls and wont waste their time paying any attention to their posts.

LBCBJ
07/08/2006, 11:51 AM
sjm817 - you need to lighten up, I'm just trying to soften the tone here. Do you even have a MCE600 or are you just one of those who likes to get in on topics you know nothing about and spit air? You've contributed nothing information or experince wise to this thread or any other that I've seen you participate in. Why dont you talk about your experience with one of these skimmers or take your mudslinging comments somewhere else.

sjm817
07/08/2006, 01:29 PM
LBCBJ, just like you, I've owned one of the two skimmers being discussed here, so I guess I am just as qualified as you are. I don't enter into threads just to troll. I can honestly say I think I generally try to, and do contribute to many threads around here. If you don't agree, that's fine. Since this is not one of them, I'm done.

ujohnk
07/08/2006, 03:50 PM
i have owned 3 deltec skimmers. 2 were good skimmers the mce600 was not... Noisy, filled tank with bubbles and pulled nothing from the tank. I would pick a Aqua-medic turbo flotor instead of the deltec....

john

s3aL
07/08/2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah I heard the European DeltecMCE600 arnt that great due to different voltage etc etc etc.

LBCBJ: No need to troll man. All your doing is getting people who come in these threads to learn something confused. If you dont know the answer, or dont have any valid responses, just dont post or say you dont know. :cool:

DeltecRules
07/08/2006, 04:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7704406#post7704406 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ujohnk
i have owned 3 deltec skimmers. 2 were good skimmers the mce600 was not... Noisy, filled tank with bubbles and pulled nothing from the tank. I would pick a Aqua-medic turbo flotor instead of the deltec....

john

The voltages are different across the pond. So pinwheel speed is different in the european skimmers, american deltec skimmer pumps have different needle wheels, and the magnets have been altered to our 60 hertz instead of european 50 hertz. The american deltecs suck in more air than the european deltecs. So we get more production out of our skimmes than you folks across the pond. I guess I have been a lucky man getting a mce600 that works. Also remember to replace those grommets in the aquabee, they can wear down and cause some vibration.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/104218mini-104-0451_IMG.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104218mini-105-0517_IMG.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/104218mini-106-0619_IMG.JPG

george1098
07/09/2006, 07:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7701671#post7701671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
george1098-

Since you have 90g tank with a 40g sump already, I wouldn't waste your money on a HOT skimmer. No matter how good it is as HOT, it will never be able to compare against a decent in sump skimmer IME.

As mentioned previously the best value in sump skimmer currently is the Reef Octopus. Cheaper than the Deltec MCE600 and will work much better as well.

i'm actually doin a little research for a freind of mines 50 gal, i'm gonna throwe an ASM G4 in my tank:)

Sea Ninja
07/11/2006, 11:55 AM
Aqua C remora is the best on the market at the time being. The price is right too.

RichConley
07/11/2006, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7701481#post7701481 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817

You can be unhappy with a product, and still think its better than another product.

If you've got a sump, the Deltec, or any other HOB shouldnt even be in the equation.

You can get a big 8" by 30" recircuating needlewheel monster that will skim 250+ gal without a hiccup for less than that deltec HOB.

DeltecRules
07/11/2006, 12:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7701671#post7701671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
george1098-

My mce600 outperformed alot of in sump skimmers I had in the past so don't doubt a product unless you have actually used one.

dhnguyen
07/11/2006, 12:31 PM
Well skimmate like this tells me the Octopus skimmers do infact work quite well

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=882676

LBCBJ
07/11/2006, 01:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7721569#post7721569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
You can be unhappy with a product, and still think its better than another product.

If you've got a sump, the Deltec, or any other HOB shouldnt even be in the equation.

You can get a big 8" by 30" recircuating needlewheel monster that will skim 250+ gal without a hiccup for less than that deltec HOB.

You phrased that very nicely.

I'm not sure why anyone would use a HOB with a sump. A $300 ASM will easily outperform a MCE600. In-Sump skimmers simply have larger reaction chambers that a HOB cannot compete with.

Andrew
07/11/2006, 01:40 PM
The coralife super skimmers aren't the best but the 65model I had did good for the price.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f390/Evanish4/Picture-001dryskimmate3.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f390/Evanish4/Picture-001dryskimmate4.jpg

The Deltec HOB skimmers may work good but the coralife super skimmer is about the same and pulls the same but cost alot less. I have to agree with LBCBJ on this one.

Andrew
07/11/2006, 01:48 PM
A skimmers performance also depends on the stock in the tank. Here's another picture of what my css pulls.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f390/Evanish4/skimmammte.jpg

PrangeWay
07/11/2006, 02:26 PM
I've owend 4 types of HOB Skimmers..

2 AquaC's Remoras
1 CPR Bak-Pak 2R
1 CSS-65
1 Typhoon

I'd recommned the Bak-Pak 2R, I saw no performance difference between the Bak-Pak and the two Remora's over a 1-year time. Hence I'd go with the cheaper one. The CSS-65 outperformed them both but it's a BIG pump and bubble-catcher in your tank, which knocks it down a lot.

If you don't mind in-tank, the Tunze DOC 9002 outperforms all 3 to a very great extent.

I'd like to try the Deltec HOB someday, but my tank has a sump now, and my next tank will only be bigger with a bigger sump, so it seems unlikely.

PW

RichConley
07/11/2006, 02:33 PM
Just a wierd note: I bought a seahorse tank a couple weeks ago, and one of the assorted pieces that came with it was a Jebo CPR backpack clone.

THis thing is built SO MUCH heavier than the CPR its ridiculous. Its absurdly better built. (Its also like $39 new.) The neck is slightly narrower than the CPR though, which I really dont like. Has a maxi1200 on it, which is kinda loud. The Rio600 on my CPR was much quieter.