PDA

View Full Version : Nutrients?

Shnabbles
07/01/2006, 12:19 PM
Is it true that LPS need high nutrients?

Doesnt skimming remove nutrients?

Is there any other way besides water changes to reintroduce nutrients into the tank? I dont have a fuge or anything like that.

I feel i may be over skimming... I have a mag 7 on my Aqua Remora C protein skimmer.... I get a good thickness of green slime in the collection cup and tube.

Any help is appreciated.

davejnz
07/01/2006, 01:16 PM
Nope,LPS is too broad of a term to say that they prefer higher nutrient waters.There are LPS corals that are collected from turbid lagoons but there's also many LPS that grow in the pristine waters of the reef slope.You need to be more specific as to what LPS you are wondering about.IME,you can overskim all you want,just remmeber to feed your corals and you wont have to worry about nutrients being in short supply.

Shnabbles
07/01/2006, 01:20 PM
what do you recommend feeding them... several times a week i put a capful of phtyo in, and i will hand feed some of them som mysis, and or cyclop eze and zoo plankton

Shnabbles
07/01/2006, 01:21 PM
I have a frogspwan, ricordia, shrooms, toadstool, finger leather, Favia, and a lobo

davejnz
07/01/2006, 01:38 PM
Frozen mysis is a staple foods for my LPS.I feed my corals 2-3x a wk at night.I also use CE,GP's,and pureed fresh seafood as well.
BTW,phytoplankton is rejected by most all stoney corals(LPS/SPS).Its not necessary to use IMO/IME for most reef tanks.

Bdimas
07/03/2006, 06:33 PM
BTW,phytoplankton is rejected by most all stoney corals(LPS/SPS).Its not necessary to use IMO/IME for most reef tanks. [/B][/QUOTE]
I thought that sps did eat phyto. Hmmmmmmm I guess i was mistaken.