PDA

View Full Version : I have problems :)

jcraft
07/01/2006, 03:41 PM
Ok, I've been dealing with Alkalinity, Calcium and pH issues for a while now . . .

It all started a few months ago when I did two things almost simultaneously- I changed my old MH bulbs out (same bulbs though) and switched salt brands (Reef Crystals to Tropic Marin Pro)

Before the changes, my pH hovered right around 8.3 lights on, and dipped to about 8.1 at night- I didn't run any lights at night.

Now I can't seem to keep my pH over 8.0 during the day and it dips to 7.8 during nights . . . alkalinity I can't seem to keep stable either- I had thought my salifert kit was bad, so I took a sample to the LFS, where the test came to 7dkh . . . this number may not be correct however, since the sample was in a hot car and temp was high. Calcium, as tested today, was at 257

I'm running a dual chambered Calcium reactor with an effluent pH reading of 6.8 And to keep the pH up, I've been dosing about 60ml of Bionic in addition to running the reactor.

All life in the system seems to be doing fine- no coral bleaching, no snail deaths, etc.

Should I quit the Bionic and just drip Kalk? that would solve both the pH and Ca problems, wouldn't it? I was also thinking of switching back to the old salt- I had run the Reef Crystals without incident for a year- only switching because I "thought" Tropic Marin was supposed to be a better salt.

Sk8r
07/01/2006, 03:45 PM
Have you tested your magnesium level? Salts differ in that respect, I believe, and low mg can prevent alk and cal from stability.

jcraft
07/01/2006, 03:59 PM
yes, and I use Kent Marine Magnesium to supplement- about 2 capfuls per week.

bertoni
07/01/2006, 04:48 PM
If the magnesium is reasonable, around 1300 ppm, I would start by supplementing a calcium chloride product, like Turbo-Calcium, to raise the calcium to 400 ppm, probably in three doses over three days. 257 ppm is very low. You could also bump the alkalinity up to 10 dKH with some baking soda dissolved in fresh water. The chemistry calculator:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

should help with the doses.

It sounds to me as if the calcium reactor is not keeping up with the demand for alkalinity and calcium, and it's also lowering the pH. More aeration might help with that, or perhaps a limewater drip would work. The B-Ionic is less useful than limewater in maintain a higher pH.

Billybeau1
07/01/2006, 07:38 PM
Also, you being in Louisiana, you probably got the house closed up and the air on. (hopefully). When I close my house up (due to hot weather), my ph drops big time. Excessive Co2 lowers ph.

Could have been a coincidence when you changed salts? Maybe.

Personally, with a closed up house, I could and do deal with 8.0 :D