PDA

View Full Version : toadstool coral update

Nabob89
07/01/2006, 05:10 PM
I'd just like to let everyone who was helping me last week know that my toadstool fully opened today, just as you predicted. A strange clear/wavy film was attached to the coral, so I gently pulled it off (I hope thats normal). Anyway, the coral is doing great, and thanks for convincing me that it wasn't dead (otherwise I may have thrown it away!)
Matt

reefnetworth
07/01/2006, 06:17 PM
hey matt, glad i could help. in the future try not to pull the molt from the TS. it will remove itself naturally. you may then use a net to retrieve it from the tank. also, if you use Kalkwassr you will be amased how much fuller it will be. this will take about 3-4 days for full effect.
Kalkwasser:
2 tablespoons of Mrs. Wages pickling lime. (grocery canning aisle)
1 gallon of RO, RO/DI, or Distilled water.
let it stand for 24 hours and slow drip dose 1 mL per gallon everyday. do not however shake the settled from the bottom. the crust on the top is calcium. it ill raise the total Ca in the tank ppm. i prefer to leave this as a barrier from impurities entering the mixture. good luck and REEF-ON!!!

Nabob89
07/01/2006, 06:37 PM
ok I'll try that, but when you say dose 1ml per gallon per day, is there any other way to dose it besides that?......When I go on vacation in 3 weeks (9days...no tank sitter), I was thinking of mixing up 10-15gallons of ro/di with the mrs wages lime, putting it in a covered container with a pump inside, and hooking that to an auto-top off in the tank. Could this work also? (the top off water would enter the tank right in front of a seio powerhead, so it would get spread quickly). Thanks alot
Matt

sir_dudeguy
07/01/2006, 09:41 PM
mmmm...quite a bit could go wrong w/that i think..sure it could be done somehow prolly, but it just seems more trouble than its worth...i'v never used kalk, but you may be able to not use it during the 9 days you're away...i dont htink it will hurt anything. I myself am thinking about doing this now that you guys meantion it..but is it possible to have too much calcium? i was using oceanic, and someone told me they're way high in it, but i've switched to IO now for my last few water changes...so should i add the kalk or no? right now i've only got red shroom, watermelon shroom, moon polyps, gold crest polyps, and some button polyps that i just added today.

srry to kinda hijack ur thread, but i'm curious bout this stuff too.