PDA

View Full Version : Scheimer stand with wood instead of steel?

BigReef
07/02/2006, 01:16 AM
I've seen the pictures of the Scheimer stand and I believe Sanjay is using something similar. My question is, can I just span the cement blocks with 4x4 posts instead of steel beams? The tank is a 336 (6x3x2.5) I would probably use 3 sets of pillars instead of 2
just as added support. ( I don't need the space for a sump)

Has anyone done aything like this on a 6 ft acrylic tank?

Oh, and do I have to fill the blocks with concrete?

Thanks

nyvp
07/02/2006, 08:56 PM
I think a couple of 2x6's bolted together is stroger. btw the i beams arent that expensive why not use them?

sonofgaladriel
07/03/2006, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't use 4x4's as they are much more likely to warp and twist over time. As nyvp said, using laminated 2x6's would be far stronger and less likely to warp or twist. To add even more strength and rigidity add a piece of 1/2 to 3/4 inch plywood sandwiched, via glue and screws, between the 2x6's.
Steel I beams are cheap but heavy!

BigReef
07/05/2006, 12:37 PM
I think your right about using 2 x 6's instead of 4 x 4's. Bolt a couple of them together and space them about 12 inches apart and cover them with a layer of 3/4 plywood. should be enough to hold a 336. I'm still debating on whether or not I need to fill the center of the concrete blocks with mortar. Any thoughts on that.

Tim

sonofgaladriel
07/05/2006, 12:42 PM
I'm still debating on whether or not I need to fill the center of the concrete blocks with mortar. Any thoughts on that.
Tim [/B]
Again, I'm not an expert by any means, but I would fill the blocks with mortar. That will help prevent tipping or block separation should any lateral 'shear' forces such as someone heavily leaning or falling into the side of the tank, pushing it to the side.
Hollow blocks have nothing holding them together but the vertical weight going straight down and I would think, albeit improbable, but possible, that they could be pushed over or separated with enough force being that the tank makes the structure very very top heavy!
The mortar basically turns all the blocks into one solid pillar, which when fastened to the beams, is secure.

BigReef
07/05/2006, 05:03 PM
I doubt that the tank could be tipped over but one can never be too sure. It sounds like filling the blocks is extra insurance! I'll do that an let you know how it goes!

Thanks for your input!

Tim