PDA

View Full Version : ID....please?! Looks like an anemone

Chaloupa
07/02/2006, 03:01 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Chaloupa/IMG_0190c800x600-90.jpg

I found one of these under my live rock (sort of in a cave) and now have another...they're quite pretty but wouldn't mind an ID if anyone knows. Thanks so much! forgot to say its about the size of a Canadian toonie...so about 1.5 inches across.

LadyReefNeck
07/02/2006, 03:13 PM
Wow! It does look kinda pretty but sorry I can't help you with an ID. If you look closely in the picture you really have several there. They are small but definitely there. The foot of it looks to be like an anemone's. It sort of reminded me of a court jester's hat when I first glanced at it. LOL. Hope someone can help you out with an ID and I hope it's something "good".

Sk8r
07/02/2006, 03:38 PM
I think it's simply called a ball-tip anemone. I think they are low light, and pretty neat. It shouldn't hurt anything. You'd be lucky if it did reproduce. ;)

Chaloupa
07/02/2006, 03:48 PM
Hey Sk8r...you sent me on the right path. Found it! It is a bad/good thing...found the name and this is what they have to say about it...in the same family as ricordea/shrooms and such;

Pseudocorynactis spp. are like Corynactis but are much larger (to about six inches (15 cm) diameter, and usually not colonial. They also reproduce by fission, but it is unusual to find more than about six clones together as a group. The so-called orange ball anemones that can be observed on coral reefs at night are Pseudocorynactis spp. The column varies in color from cryptic shades of brown to orange, red and magenta. The tips of the tentacles are commonly bright orange, but they can also be white. These tentacle tips are extremely sticky, like flypaper, due to the presence of powerful nematocysts. This fact makes the larger species from the Indo Pacific region unsuitable for aquariums housing fishes, which they readily capture. They also can catch mobile invertebrates such as shrimps and snails, and sometimes "attack" sessile invertebrates growing on adjacent rocks, enveloping them in the gastric cavity through a widely opened mouth. Pseudocorynactis spp. can be fed daily, but only require twice weekly feeding to keep them healthy. If they are not fed frequently enough, they shrink. There is a marked behavioral difference between the common Caribbean and Indo-Pacific species.
The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known.

Whether you have a large reef aquarium or a simple small aquarium, any of the corallimorphs can be easily maintained and enjoyed for decades

silverking
07/02/2006, 07:49 PM
I have four of these in my tank sarted out with one i think they are really cool but they dont seem to get very big. when extended they are about the size of quarter ive been feeding them mysis but still not getting bigger...took me awhile to figure out what they were too great pic by the way

Paintbug
07/02/2006, 09:00 PM
i would go with a Pseudocorynactis spp. too. they are neat little creatures, and yours is very pretty. i have the plan clear with white ball tips in my tank. but i still let them be. they will feed on pods, small shrimp and snails. theres no need to really feed them directly.

Aquabucket
07/02/2006, 09:42 PM
I cultivate these little guys (Pseudocorynactis ~ from Indo Pacific) in the cube systems were I work. I feed them once or twice a week which allows them to grow to size of a 50 cent piece and develop more color in the tips. As a result I see new clones popping up here and there. Feeding also helps keep them in a fixed place as they can roam around a bit from time to time.

melev
07/02/2006, 10:40 PM
They are very pretty, and referred to as Orange Ball Anemones. Nice picture!

McCrary
07/03/2006, 01:27 AM
I have one of those in my tank, its cool when they come out at night.

Chaloupa
07/03/2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks! It is a great picture...we have taken so many and FINALLY got a good one! Ours is out all day and night....the bigger one that we didn't get a picture of is even prettier. It has a neon green ring around it that is amazing! I like them. I'm glad they are not a bad thing as of course you get worried quickly! They've never moved either. Thanks everyone for replies.

Travis L. Stevens
07/03/2006, 10:59 AM
If it has a soft body (no skeleton) I would say that it is definitely a Pseudocorynactis species. If it does have a calcifyied skeleton, then I would have to go with a Hidden Cup Coral.