PDA

View Full Version : plans for a new 75g reef

acwilson
07/02/2006, 04:22 PM
I've got some questions about what I'm planning for my new tank, which will probably be an AGA drilled 75g. I am still planning, so nothing is set for sure. I plan to keep mostly soft coral and LPS, with a few SPS and maybe a clam in the future.
For flow, I was thinking letting both pre-drilled holes run down to a 30g sump and have the return be a mag 9.5 with a SCWD wavemaker. In addition to that I was thinking a seio 620... would this be enough flow?
For lighting I was thinking two 150hqi pendants with supplemental VHO actinic (2x 110w).
For the sump I think a 30g tank would be good, with 3 sections, the first for a euroreef cs80, second for refugium, and third for return. I don't have measurements yet though, but I've heard the return should be at least 5 gallons.
Please tell me what you think of this plan. Thanks

acwilson
07/02/2006, 06:41 PM
bump

kappaknight
07/02/2006, 08:59 PM
Looks like you did your research. For the lights you want, you should check out a Current USA Outer Orbit setup.

yoboyjdizz
07/02/2006, 09:23 PM
Good plan but i would think you would want more flow in there maybe two seio 1500's... Maybe also think about going with 250watt halides if you want clams and sps depending on where you want to put them in your tank.

acwilson
07/02/2006, 10:10 PM
since sps and clams will be limited, i have no problem with putting them near the top... as for the flow, I thought I might need more, but I had no idea I would need that much more... thank you very much for your input!

itz frank
07/03/2006, 01:11 AM
There's actually no need to go Halides unless ur tank is deep. Flourescents put out the same amount of like as hilades. Only difference is that the light is more focused as opposed to spread out and comes from a smaller source. This makes it appear brighter. SPS are really more dependent on water quality as opposed to lighting. I don't know much about clams though. I'd imagine the same.

acwilson
07/04/2006, 09:30 AM
well the 75g tank is 20" deep, which isn't THAT deep, but I think I'll still go halides... as for the flow, how would two seio 1100's do with the mag 9.5 return? Would that be enough? Also, about where should they be placed, if I place the two returns from the SCWD on the back wall?
Thanks again

acwilson
07/04/2006, 11:08 AM
Actually, would the mag 9.5 be enough for the return, or would it be better to go with a mag 12?

j_beau_13
07/04/2006, 11:36 AM
im starting an aga 75 gal and just thought i would tell you how im setting mine up to see if it would help you since im going to be keeping zoas, rics, few sps and clams...

return pump - mag 7 bc the pre-drilled hole for the drain will have a hard time keeping up with a mag 9.5, and its alot quieter since water isnt rushing into the sump at a high speed

flow - i got the mag 7 running to a 3/4" sea-swirl along with two seio 1100's...plenty of flow and really random

lighting - going with the tek 6-54 watt fixture...cheaper in the long run and alot cooler then MH's. the 150 watt MH's is perfect if your going with mainly lps and softies but clams a sps would have to be at the very top

filtration - 30 gal long with three compartments like you said, asm g3 (but the euro-reef is awesome too)

hope this helps...:D

acwilson
07/04/2006, 12:21 PM
thanks a lot j beau... I really do like to hear what other people use, and it does help... the only reason I would go higher than a mag 7 is because I'm not using the pre-drilled hole as a return, but will be running the return through a SCWD wavemaker and then have 2 outputs into the tank. But I think I will go with 2 seio 1100's too. Where are you going to put yours?

j_beau_13
07/04/2006, 02:27 PM
good idea...i ended up using herbies method of overflow bc i couldnt stand the noise of water falling 4 ft into my sump...now it is completely silent, only hear the hum of the pump...

i have a seio in each corner angled to the front glass...its makes good turbulent flow in the middle of the tank

j_beau_13
07/04/2006, 02:32 PM
oh yea...be careful with those scwd's...ive heard those things are a hit and miss working long time, and flow gets reduced quite a bit too...

acwilson
07/04/2006, 02:34 PM
what is herbies method?
That placement of the seios would be good, but if I put the two returms from the SCWD near the back corners, I think I might put the seios in the front corners, aimed toward the middle of the tank... do you think that would be good?

j_beau_13
07/04/2006, 03:06 PM
herbies method is just a way of making your overflow completely silent...since my tanks in my bedroom, it was a must...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344892&highlight=Herbies+silent+overflow+system

it should work, and you can always change around the placement to see what best fits you tank

acwilson
07/04/2006, 04:26 PM
cool, thanks

acwilson
07/07/2006, 12:26 PM
I have been looking at t5 lighting and I found a 48" 8x54w Nova Extreme system that has 4 lunar lights... anyone have experience with these, and what would that kind of lighting be adequate for on a 75g tank (48x18x20)? Thanks for the help

j_beau_13
07/07/2006, 02:22 PM
there are two kinds of t5 fixtures on the market right now...the NOVA and the Tek. believe me i have sat and read every little thread on t5 lighting to figure up with what i want for my 75 gal...so far all ive heard is good things about the tek light and few good about the nova.

good things about the tek is that it uses individual reflectors for each bulb instead of a single reflector that the nova has. you pretty much get more light out of your bulb if you use individual reflectors. ive also heard the nova is built cheaper then the tek hence the price difference.

with all that said im going with the tek fixture so i dont have to end up buying something that will have to be replaced later on.
you pretty much are paying for what you get.

and the 8 bulb fixtures are way overkill on a 75 gal...im buying the 6-bulb tek fixture and will prob still have to raise the light up to keep from frying zoas and rics

for mostly sps and clams go with the 6-bulb, if its mainly softies and lps, got with the 4-bulb...im going with the 6-bulb so i wont kick myself later when i want to keep alot of sps

acwilson
07/07/2006, 03:59 PM
awesome... that helps me quite a bit. Thank you very much

acwilson
07/08/2006, 02:59 PM
how are the aquamedic fixtures?

j_beau_13
07/08/2006, 05:52 PM
cant help you there...

acwilson
07/16/2006, 07:40 PM
ok... so I decided to go with the 6 bulb tek light. Now for the skimmer... I had said that I might get a cs80, but I'm not sure that will be powerful enough. I'm thinking now either a Euroreef cs6-1, AquaC EV120, or ASM G3.
Any suggestions anyone?

acwilson
07/16/2006, 09:01 PM
By the way, that would be for a moderately to highly stocked tank.