PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmer for 300 gal

Musicbabe
07/02/2006, 06:48 PM
I am putting in a 300 gallon tank with a 110 gallon sump. What is the brand recommendation from anyone with a tank in that general size for a protein skimmer?

bertoni
07/03/2006, 08:55 PM
There are a lot of brands that get mentioned.

Euro-Reef and ASM are the lower-cost brands, with ASM noticeably lower in price than Euro-Reef.

Deltec and H&S are the more high-end brands that get mentioned.

Vegas_ReefMan
07/03/2006, 10:17 PM
ASM are junk! I bought a G2 and it sucks. Dont get an ASM, people love them, why? Because they are cheap, I agree cheap in price, cheap in quality, and cheap in results!

dhnguyen
07/03/2006, 10:49 PM
You should look into a Reef Octopus skimmer (AKA Pacific Coast Imports) They're much better built than ASM and performas well if not better than ER. And cheaper too. I don't agree with The statement above about "cheap in price, cheap in quality, and cheap in results!" because in the case of the Reef Octopus this is just not true. Check it out for yourself there is a huge thread on this new skimmer.

http://reeftanksupply.com
http://customaquatics.com
http://octopusskimmer.com

mg426
07/03/2006, 11:01 PM
ASM junk. Dont hear that to often.

zaireguy
07/04/2006, 01:28 PM
I had a g4x that will pull the chrome off a hitch ball.Ihad a euro reef was a good skimmer but over priced..I liked the asm so much I just got a g6

deltec and h&s are great if you have the money.But don`t bash asm cause they don`t cost over a 1,000.they are a very nice skimmer and work great..imo

mg426
07/04/2006, 01:30 PM
Thats more like it

mg426
07/04/2006, 04:29 PM
Thats more like it

Jim_S
07/04/2006, 04:37 PM
If I had a 300+ gallon tank, you better bet I wouldn't be looking for "the best deal" on a skimmer. JMHO.

Becketts are a good choice. Look into Barr Aquatics and My Reef Creations.

NW are also good. They tend to be more pricey then other skimmers, but you can make up the difference in electricity used. Euro-reef, ASM, Deltec and H&S are all good choices. With the amount of money I have invested in my tanks, I'm never looking for the cheapest way to solve a problem.

This is a tough question to ask. There seems to be some sort of facist movement spearheaded be dhnguyen and rich conley on geting people to buy a reef octopus. Its almost getting worse then the Deltec people pushing their favorite products.

But your best bet is do some research, find you budget and needs, then go from there.

HTH

Jim

dhnguyen
07/04/2006, 06:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7680782#post7680782 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimdogg187
...There seems to be some sort of facist movement spearheaded be dhnguyen and rich conley on geting people to buy a reef octopus. Its almost getting worse then the Deltec people pushing their favorite products.

But your best bet is do some research, find you budget and needs, then go from there.

HTH

Jim

:lol: Puleeease dude. Enough of the conspiracy theory already :rolleyes:

I'm just giving people a cheaper alternative when shopping for skimmers. Frankly I could care less what they buy since it's their wallet anyway.

CoralFiend
07/04/2006, 06:30 PM
If you want a beast of a skimmer for a reasonable, but not cheap price, you might want to at least look at the ReefMaina line. I wouldn't be looking for a cheap skimmer for a 300 gallon tank.

www.reefmania.net

There is a thread about someone that has one of these skimmers if you want to check it out:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=688951&perpage=25&pagenumber=6

baja_hammer2003
07/04/2006, 06:54 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/42398IM000494.JPG GEO needle wheel 4 gen x 4100 pumps kicks butt

baja_hammer2003
07/04/2006, 06:57 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/42398IM000493.JPG

baja_hammer2003
07/04/2006, 07:03 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/42398IM000528.JPG

Beenalongtime79
07/04/2006, 08:09 PM
The OR 3700s are far superior to the Sedra 9000 NW pumps. I have both and I am just amazed at the difference in performance between the two in terms of power...

The sedra 9000 is grossly underpowered and actually more expensive!!!

If you want to get a great skimmer with a lot of neat features, (Wet neck, twist lock flange, tapered cone neck to ease bubbles up the neck) Get a Spazz skimmer! He also does custom NWs for his skimmers so you can get a really,really efficient skimmer from him... something that no one else will do for you. However, if you don't want a custom fit pump, then he can always throw on a couple OR 3700s on there for your convenience.

That man makes good stuff and he is THE only manufacturer out there (besides the big boys: H&S, Deltec, ER, PCI now) that makes his skimmers with the tapering cone neck, which IMO is actually very important for keeping the bubbles from coalescing before they reach the neck for a more efficient skim. :) Plus, you've gotta love his twist lock flange.

Peace,
John H.

Fliger
07/04/2006, 08:11 PM
These threads are practically all worthless. In order to recommend the right skimmer you need to know - what kind of livestock, how much, SPS or just reef, FOWLR, under tank or tank room, BUDGET, is electricity a concern ......

No offense meant, but every skimmer thread goes down the same road, unless all of the above (and more) is specified - then sometimes they still go down this road. ;-)

Beenalongtime79
07/04/2006, 08:13 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h120/rufio173/100_0426.jpg

Skimmer has one OR 3700 pump on it and pulls 14-15 SCFH when it plugged into the Dwyer flow meter. It probably pulls 17 SCFH if not plugged into the Dwyer.

For comparison, the sedra 9000 in place of the OR 3700 pulled only 4-5 SCFH. :( A surprisingly weak pump IME.

Peace,
John H.

Bebo77
07/04/2006, 08:13 PM
deltec or BK are the best imo... that geo looks good too to bad it uses gen pumps....

Beenalongtime79
07/04/2006, 08:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7681538#post7681538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fliger
These threads are practically all worthless. In order to recommend the right skimmer you need to know - what kind of livestock, how much, SPS or just reef, FOWLR, under tank or tank room, BUDGET, is electricity a concern ......

No offense meant, but every skimmer thread goes down the same road, unless all of the above (and more) is specified - then sometimes they still go down this road. ;-)

Fliger, stop ruining everybody's fun!!! It allows us all to wax poetic about our love for our skimmers. :)

IBASSFSH
07/04/2006, 08:39 PM
Here is my recommendation, Deltec AP902. My set up is just under 400 gallons total water volume.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/Ibassfsh/DeltecAP902029.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/Ibassfsh/DeltecAP902037.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/Ibassfsh/DeltecAP902039.jpg

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=829315

Musicbabe
07/04/2006, 09:07 PM
Okay Fliger, your comment is a fair one:) The tank will be fish and reef. I will have 8 anthias, 1 magnificent fox face rabbit fish, 1 purple tang, 1 achilies tang, 1 blue hippo tang, 2 percula clown fish, 1 cleaner wrass, 2 green chromis, 2 bengai cardinal, 1 midas blenny, 1 lawn mower blenny, 2 yellow gobies, and 2 yellow head jawfish. In addition, I currently have 5 shrimp, 3 serpent stars, an emerald crab and numerous hermies. The tank is going in the wall to be viewed from both sides. The protein skimmer will be going under the tank. The under tank space will be 8 ' length, 26" width, and 34" height. My total budget for everything except the tank itself and the welded stand which will be under the cabinetry is $6,500. I already have the sand and 150 lb of live rock. I have the electric company and an electrician coming next week to determine how much electricity I have available and how much I can add, if necessary. Sooooo, with those questions answered...what's your thought? By the way, thanks for everyone's comments. You all mentioned a couple of brands which were new to me!

Musicbabe
07/04/2006, 09:10 PM
Ibassfsh,
It looks like you are very fond of your Deltec!:) That's quite a set up you have. Is that in your garage or a dedicated room?

baja_hammer2003
07/05/2006, 04:37 AM
GEO was in my price range the gen x 4100 pumps have worked great no problems for a 1 1/2 years so far i will change them out to a sedra 9000 when the time comes paid under 1 k could not get a deltec that compares for that price.

RichConley
07/05/2006, 07:32 AM
baja, the sedras are junk. stay away from them. If you're gonna pay for new pumps, go eheim, or ocean runner. (OR being the best bang for your buck.)

At above about 24", even an OR2700 will outperform a sedra9000.

That being said, those 4100s pull what, 75w a piece? So we're looking 300w to run that thing.

AFAIC, once you get past 2 pumps, needlewheel skimmers lose most of their advantages. You could run a BIG recirc beckett skimmer for that, and you'd certainly be pulling in more air.

baja_hammer2003
07/05/2006, 08:10 AM
thanks for the input were can i get eheim needle wheel pumps? the reason i went this way was no room for a beckett and could not turn that much flow from my sump.

RichConley
07/05/2006, 09:11 AM
H&S sells theirs at finsreef, but you're looking at $350 for each pump. The OR3700s would be the best bang for the buck, assuming that thing is reasonably tall, which it looks.

Beenalongtime79
07/05/2006, 09:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7683043#post7683043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
baja, the sedras are junk. stay away from them. If you're gonna pay for new pumps, go eheim, or ocean runner. (OR being the best bang for your buck.)

At above about 24", even an OR2700 will outperform a sedra9000.

That being said, those 4100s pull what, 75w a piece? So we're looking 300w to run that thing.

AFAIC, once you get past 2 pumps, needlewheel skimmers lose most of their advantages. You could run a BIG recirc beckett skimmer for that, and you'd certainly be pulling in more air.

Not true. :) Once again, pushing air is a lot less energy intensive than pushing water, so drop those wattage numbers by half.

That's why the aquabee used on the APF600 only actually draws 8 watts on a watt meter when it is actually posted as 20 watts on multiple sites. Given that fact. The Eheim 1260s which do actually pull 900 ml/hr (converted over to roughly 30SCFH). When you've got two working in tandem, that is close to 60 SCFH. You'd need to drive 1.5 becketts to capacity to equal that airflow and that takes a whole lot more energy than just 100 W (although in reality, it's probably closer to 70W).

Peace,
John H.

RichConley
07/05/2006, 12:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7683601#post7683601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rufio173
Not true. :) Once again, pushing air is a lot less energy intensive than pushing water, so drop those wattage numbers by half.

That's why the aquabee used on the APF600 only actually draws 8 watts on a watt meter when it is actually posted as 20 watts on multiple sites. Given that fact. The Eheim 1260s which do actually pull 900 ml/hr (converted over to roughly 30SCFH). When you've got two working in tandem, that is close to 60 SCFH. You'd need to drive 1.5 becketts to capacity to equal that airflow and that takes a whole lot more energy than just 100 W (although in reality, it's probably closer to 70W).

Peace,
John H.

But at the same time, pushing a beckett puts a lot of back pressure on the pump, and we all know, as you put head on a pump, it uses less electricity, so these beckett skimmers are running for less wattage than stated too,.

Also, NW skimmers are severely limited as head height goes. That 1260 pulls 30 scfh at about 12" of skimmer height. Build a 60" skimmer, and I doubt it will pull anywhere about 10scfh. Build a 60" beckett? You're still getting 40scfh from each tower, and lowering wattage EVEN MORE.

As becketts get taller, they get MORE efficient, whereas NW driven skimmers get LESS efficient.

ChemE
07/05/2006, 12:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7684938#post7684938 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
...As becketts get taller, they get MORE efficient, whereas NW driven skimmers get LESS efficient.

Yeah, but toss a decent air pump (like the Sweetwaters, Alitas, or Whitewaters) into the mix and suddenly a tall NW will stomp a tall beckett again.

franklinbeens
07/05/2006, 01:00 PM
rufio173 , i want to send you a pm about the skimmer pump, but your box is full.
thanks

Fliger
07/05/2006, 01:01 PM
WHAT A HIJACK!!!!

Musicbabe (i love that name :) ) since size and noise and possibly power will be an issue, I do think a NW would work well in your case. You should allocate some good money to the skimmer. On a tank that size, its great insurance and makes life easier when/if you get slack.

If you go external - I do think the H&S A200 2x1260 or Deltec AP702 would be great choices at around $1,599. If you go internal you can get the H&S 200 2x1260 for $1299. If you can fit it in your budget (and sump) you can get the 3x1260 for $1899, which is way more than you need, but you will have one clean tank. But I don't think it would fit.

If you want TOTAL silence (the bubbles make more noise than the skimmer) you can get a Bubble King 300, but the external runs $2500 and the internal about $2200. It is a seriously cool skimmer but expensive.

You can't skimp on a skimmer, I know it sounds like a lot but when something goes wrong with a small tank, its a lot easier to deal with than a larger tank. I lost quite a few weekends doing massive water changes on my 340. :mad:

I like Becketts as well but in you situation I think a NW is a better choice.

But the smallest I would recommend would be that H&S 200 2x1260 at $1299 - I used the external model and it stayed far ahead of my 340, and I had a crapload of tangs. I have used every skimmer I mentioned and I do believe they will be fine. If you feel like you want a bigger skimmer later, you won't lose as much on a $1299 purchase. There is also a new H&S skimmer coming out with a single large pump made to replace two Eheim 1260's - it should be out in the next few weeks from what I've read. I don't know if Deltec plans on using the pump.

Good luck!

RichConley
07/05/2006, 01:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7684952#post7684952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChemE
Yeah, but toss a decent air pump (like the Sweetwaters, Alitas, or Whitewaters) into the mix and suddenly a tall NW will stomp a tall beckett again.

I dunno about stomp. I've seen Becketts running at 80-100w pulling in 80 scfh. Spazz was getting right around there on his Dart running the alita. Thats pretty comparable. On conventional NW pumps? Not a chance in hell. The eheims can't handle 40-50scfh, even if its pumped in there.

Fliger
07/05/2006, 01:10 PM
Oh also - I'm sure the Geo models are great. Baja, I think the Eheim from H&S is $299 and I think just 2 or 3 would work great. Tunze also has a pump specifically made for skimmers - check over on the Tunze forum. I don't think its out yet, but I think it draws 800LPH.

Beenalongtime79
07/05/2006, 01:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7685027#post7685027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by franklinbeens
rufio173 , i want to send you a pm about the skimmer pump, but your box is full.
thanks

I'll clear it out. :)

Beenalongtime79
07/05/2006, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7685082#post7685082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
I dunno about stomp. I've seen Becketts running at 80-100w pulling in 80 scfh. Spazz was getting right around there on his Dart running the alita. Thats pretty comparable. On conventional NW pumps? Not a chance in hell. The eheims can't handle 40-50scfh, even if its pumped in there.

Where are you getting those numbers from? 80-100W to push 80 SCFH seems absolutely incredulous to me (and at those numbers, how are the bubble sizes since that is one of the most important aspects of any skimmer... the ability to deliver high airflow with exquisitely small bubble size is hard to do). What pump was being used... because it sounds like a bomb pump if it is that efficient and can drive two becketts (I'm assuming two becketts because 80 SCFH through one beckett is almost impossible) to their max.

I used a mak4 on my one beckett injector and may have gotten only 25 SCFH with the same bubble size as my NW skimmer (I could get it up to maybe 40 SCFH if I wanted to, but then bubbles got really large and the surface of the skimmer water column became too turbulent). I know I was using at least 70-80W then on the pump. The difference in wattage is still less when pushing air than pushing water (so even with backpressure, it still costs you more with a beckett skimmer)

Spazz's tests were the only ones where I saw exact numbers with wattages and correlated them to bubble size.

Peace,
John H.

Beenalongtime79
07/05/2006, 02:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7685097#post7685097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fliger
Oh also - I'm sure the Geo models are great. Baja, I think the Eheim from H&S is $299 and I think just 2 or 3 would work great. Tunze also has a pump specifically made for skimmers - check over on the Tunze forum. I don't think its out yet, but I think it draws 800LPH.

Fliger,

Do you have any idea what their needlewheel looks like?

Peace,
John H.

Biggie
07/05/2006, 02:16 PM
I wont start my quality for price rant but you get what you pay for anyone who says differnt is convincing themselves there not cheap. Consider what your trying to keep in 300 gal of water too. I prefer Barr Aquatics. I think that in the 300 gal range of options you have an open book. Pretty much any skimmer you get rated for 300 gal is gonna be sufficient for the genera; reefer. Your only considerations should be what your keeping, noise, electrical usage, and performance, If there is a woman involved in the decision making process you might consider price too. Other than that sky is the limit. Get one rated for 300 gal or slightly higher for a highly loaded tank.

ChemE
07/05/2006, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7685513#post7685513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Biggie
I wont start my quality for price rant but you get what you pay for anyone who says differnt is convincing themselves there not cheap...

Surely you are aware that you can not make blanket statements like this. Examples abound in this hobby where less expensive can be better. Look at the DIY Maxi-Streams versus Tunzes. 1/10th the price, half the power draw, increased flow. Things aren't black and white they are always shades of gray.

RichConley
07/05/2006, 02:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7685513#post7685513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Biggie
I wont start my quality for price rant but you get what you pay for anyone who says differnt is convincing themselves there not cheap.

And I disagree with you. I've got a $200 skimmer that outskims the $600 skimmer sitting on the shelf.

You do get what you pay for though, a name brand.

Take a $1500 deltec. The $1500 H&S will outskim it. Why? Because its a bigger skimmer. The $1500 ER would probably outskim that. WHy? Because it would be even bigger. And if ASM made a $1500 skimmer...

A Large amount of the price on the high ticket skimmers is $$ lost to exchange rates, taxes, tariffs, and just good old fashion brand loyalty.

THere are plenty of extremely effective reasonably priced skimmers out there.

Actually, from what I've seen in this hobby, what you pay, and the performance for a piece of equipment, are in no way correlated.

ChemE
07/05/2006, 03:07 PM
Of course it is the same outside of this hobby. There is a relatively small group of people willing to pay top dollar for a car with a Lexus name on it. Lexus is quite happy to give them what they want and take their money. There is a larger group of people who want the same car but will not pay that much money. Toyota is quite happy to put a different name on the same car and charge a decreased price but still get a sale.

Sony also does this with some of their ES components. Intel and AMD both do this with their processors. nVidia has done this with some video cards. There are always bargains to be had just as there are always fools looking to be had.

Beenalongtime79
07/05/2006, 03:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7685801#post7685801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChemE
There are always bargains to be had just as there are always fools looking to be had.

I don't consider people who buy H&S, deltec, Tunze, or bubble king fools.

I think that is pretty harsh for one to state such a thing. I might not end up buying these skimmers myself, but certainly wouldn't call those people that do fools.

Fliger
07/05/2006, 04:09 PM
Well I would be quite a fool then. Fortunately the vast majority of the owners of the aforementioned products have enough money to buy them, I would hardly call them "fools". Just people who enjoy well-engineered products. ;-) The hourly pay wage of those "fools" is usually many fold what it would cost to DIY our tanks to have "DIY" all over our current tank signature.

I'm going Lexus shopping now.

(of course i love to read the diy threads, and that isn't aimed at all diy'ers)

Fliger
07/05/2006, 04:13 PM
Oh and Barr is a great skimmer. I see sidewinder's all the time, its incredible. But given her needs, I think a $1299 sub-100watt skimmer is more than adequate. Just plug it in.

Oh, he drives a Lexus. :lol:

Beenalongtime79
07/05/2006, 04:25 PM
Fliger,

Do you know what type of NW the Tunze pumps use or at least the new one uses?

Thanks!
John

ChemE
07/05/2006, 06:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7686049#post7686049 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rufio173
I don't consider people who buy H&S, deltec, Tunze, or bubble king fools.

I think that is pretty harsh for one to state such a thing. I might not end up buying these skimmers myself, but certainly wouldn't call those people that do fools.

You misunderstood me. Buying those products does not make one a fool but we've all seen those in this hobby with way more money than sense that buy based solely on price tag. The uninformed consumer is the fool not the discerning consumer. By all mean, shop for a Lexus but don't think you're the same part of the market segment as me. My Kia gets me from A to B quite comfortably and it is paid for.

Anyway, that wasn't meant the way it seems to have come off.

Musicbabe
07/05/2006, 07:08 PM
So I looked online at the H & S 200 3 x 1260. The price listed was $1,100. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using an internal vs. external skimmer? I suspect the the internal variety can raise your water temperature. Anything other than that? I had planned on using an internal skimmer. By the way, I sent a pm to you Fliger.

Fliger
07/05/2006, 07:40 PM
John, not sure - maybe check with Roger Vitko?

Musicbabe - sent back a PM on the other stuff. Unfortunately you are looking at the 3x2001 which is probably OK, but the 2x1260 is basically the same - possibly a little more air. The two bigger pumps equal the three smaller pumps. I would just recommend the 2x1260 since I don't like a lotta pumps. If you go to www.finsreef.com go to skimmers, H&S, Internal Models - they are all there. H&S also has a sponsor forum, as does Deltec. The H&S sponsor also carries Bubble King.

IME, they both raise the water temp, about a degree per pump. Many people say that externals skim better, I tend to agree altho I don't think its a huge amount. In fact I believe Klaus Jansen (maker of Bubble King) thinks there is no difference. You can just "manipulate" your skimmate more with an external which for an equipment junkie like me is fun. ;-)

I would say post over on the H&S forum and the Deltec forum. Be careful, they can be quite fanatical. ;-)

And if you want a "Beckett" - Barr is the way to go. www.barraquatics.com is the site, go to skimmers and I think you'd be interested in the largest of the standard models. I personally wouldn't put a big Beckett under a stand but if I had all my plumbing/sump/skimmer off in a room behind the tank - I would strongly consider one of his skimmers.

Have fun! Research, buy once, cry once!

Oh one thing to make it a little more confusing - I was at a guy's house - gcarroll - and he had a big AquaC and it was awesome! He pulls a TTTTOOONNN of skimmate and his tank/corals are some of finest you see anywhere. But I don't have experience with the brand so I couldn't really tell you .....

Jim_S
07/05/2006, 07:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7687154#post7687154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Musicbabe
So I looked online at the H & S 200 3 x 1260. The price listed was $1,100. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using an internal vs. external skimmer? I suspect the the internal variety can raise your water temperature. Anything other than that? I had planned on using an internal skimmer. By the way, I sent a pm to you Fliger.

You are right about the heat transfer from insump skimmers. The external models also allow you to control the flow through the skimmer body. The pump is mounted to recirculate water within the skimmer, and a seperate source like the tanks drain or or a feed pump delivers water to the skimmer.

This has two advantages,

1: longer contact time in the skimmer body means for a higer per pass extraction of dissolved organics.

2: Water fed from the drain is raw surface water that is high in dissolved organics.

Here are some examples. Both of my skimmers are run externally and fed from my drains via a split in the plumbing.

H&S A150
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/75364H_S_skimmate1.jpg

After it had been broken in
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/75364H_S_cup.jpg

Feed line
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/75364skimmer_plumbing.jpg

ER RC180
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/75364ER_x2.jpg

The plumbing on this skimmer is not so clean because I built the tank before I had the skimmer and have been too lazy to replumb.

Also, external skimmers can be run internally or externally.

Jim

Gary Majchrzak
07/05/2006, 08:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7670286#post7670286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Musicbabe
I am putting in a 300 gallon tank with a 110 gallon sump. What is the brand recommendation from anyone with a tank in that general size for a protein skimmer?
Stepping outside the skimming debate... I don't think anyone has posted this yet, so I will.
First, you need to understand the types of skimmers available to you, Musicbabe. They generally do the same thing (remove fish poo), but they accomplish the end result by slightly different means. You like to read?
Read this primer on skimmer basics:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/fm/feature/index.php
Secondly, Musicbabe (great username but probably a dOOd, folks!) needs to tell us what will be kept in the proposed 300 gallon aquarium. There's no reason to spend one thousand dollars on a skimmer if it's going to be a 300 gallon FO.

Jim_S
07/05/2006, 08:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7687493#post7687493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
Stepping outside the skimming debate... I don't think anyone has posted this yet, so I will.
First, you need to understand the types of skimmers available to you, Musicbabe. They generally do the same thing (remove fish poo), but they accomplish the end result by slightly different means. You like to read?
Read this primer on skimmer basics:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/fm/feature/index.php
Secondly, Musicbabe (great username but probably a dOOd, folks!) needs to tell us what will be kept in the proposed 300 gallon aquarium. There's no reason to spend one thousand dollars on a skimmer if it's going to be a 300 gallon FO.

If a skimmer removes poo (which it does) Wouldn't there be much more poo say on a 300 FO then on a reef?

And the orginator of this thread stated clearly on the first page what it is they plan to stock.

edit: after reading my post it comes off as a little harsh. I meant it in no way as an attack gary:rollface:

Cheers,
Jim

Gary Majchrzak
07/05/2006, 08:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7681796#post7681796 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Musicbabe
Okay Fliger, your comment is a fair one:) The tank will be fish and reef. I will have 8 anthias, 1 magnificent fox face rabbit fish, 1 purple tang, 1 achilies tang, 1 blue hippo tang, 2 percula clown fish, 1 cleaner wrass, 2 green chromis, 2 bengai cardinal, 1 midas blenny, 1 lawn mower blenny, 2 yellow gobies, and 2 yellow head jawfish. In addition, I currently have 5 shrimp, 3 serpent stars, an emerald crab and numerous hermies. The tank is going in the wall to be viewed from both sides. The protein skimmer will be going under the tank. The under tank space will be 8 ' length, 26" width, and 34" height. My total budget for everything except the tank itself and the welded stand which will be under the cabinetry is $6,500. I already have the sand and 150 lb of live rock. I have the electric company and an electrician coming next week to determine how much electricity I have available and how much I can add, if necessary. Sooooo, with those questions answered...what's your thought? By the way, thanks for everyone's comments. You all mentioned a couple of brands which were new to me!
Are living corals going into this?

Gary Majchrzak
07/05/2006, 08:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7687525#post7687525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimdogg187
If a skimmer removes poo (which it does) Wouldn't there be much more poo say on a 300 FO then on a reef?

And the orginator of this thread stated clearly on the first page what it is they plan to stock.

edit: after reading my post it comes off as a little harsh. I meant it in no way as an attack gary:rollface:

Cheers,
Jim
No offense taken.
Living corals are more sensitive to fish poo than fish. ;)

hoffmann
07/05/2006, 08:18 PM
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Aqua Medic Shorty 5000. I've set this up on four 300 gallon tanks and I must say that I was pleasently suprised at the results. Very good skimmer in mhop.

Musicbabe
07/05/2006, 08:18 PM
Gary,
Thanks for the reference on skimmer basics. I will read that. And yes, I am a female as some have assumed.

Gary Majchrzak
07/05/2006, 08:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7687627#post7687627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Musicbabe
Gary,
Thanks for the reference on skimmer basics. I will read that. And yes, I am a female as some have assumed.
:bigeyes:

dhnguyen
07/05/2006, 08:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7687625#post7687625 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hoffmann
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Aqua Medic Shorty 5000. I've set this up on four 300 gallon tanks and I must say that I was pleasently suprised at the results. Very good skimmer in mhop.

I don't doubt it. We all know skimmer designs are all pretty much very similar from brand to brand but it's really the pump that makes the difference. OceanRunner pumps are some of the best NW pumps out there IME.

D.

IBASSFSH
07/05/2006, 08:49 PM
Musicbabe, all that stuff pictured in my previous post is in the garage. It is still a mess from the late night before installation. I really do love the skimmer though.

I thought I was a fool also for spending that kind of money on a skimmer, BUT I had already spent money on two Life Reef skimmers, and 3 AquaC EV-120 skimmers. The LifeReef Skimmers were are VS2-24 skimmers. I have also tried the Red Sea Berlin years ago along with a Red Sea Prizm. Yes I said Prizm. Not to mention the CPR backpack skimmer too. I have all of these skimmers still minus the Prizm. It was not even worth the storage space it would require, and thats not saying much.

While the above mention skimmers skimmed and did seemingly well, they cannot touch the Deltec. The amount of nog in the previous post was for like a week or a little less. I would not get that much out of my others for a month. Looking back I would buy a Deltec all over again.

One of my LifeReef skimmers came from the GREAT FLIGER. The test pilot for all skimmers!! This guy knows skimmers, and I hate that I missed the BK he had for sale a while back. KNowing what I know now about Deltec, I am not sure I could go to the BK though. It would have to be better,and Deltec is a tough act to follow.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/Ibassfsh/215gallontank018.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/Ibassfsh/Newricordias049.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/Ibassfsh/Newricordias016.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/Ibassfsh/Newricordias042.jpg

Here are some pics of my tank and inhabitants. Not the greatest camera or skills though.

Musicbabe
07/05/2006, 09:25 PM
Ibassfsh, Very nice tank. Is this one 215? It looks larger in that first picture. How many fish do you stock in there, and how big is your sailfin? Is that a Sohal or a Blonde Naso tang? How long have you had that Deltec running?

lovelylinda
07/05/2006, 10:07 PM
Ibassfish, is your close bond with the deltec an issue @ home?

IBASSFSH
07/06/2006, 09:05 PM
Thanks Musicbabe! The tank is a 215 "Brickstyle" Oceanic tank. It has thicker glass and no center brace. It is plumbed into two Rubbermaid stock tanks in the garage (75 and 100 gallons).

I have a few tangs in the tank, I have the powder blue, a purple tang,
a unicorn tang, the blonde Naso, and the Sailfin. I also have a Kole tang in my 100 gallon refugium. They are all pretty big fish except for the powder and the purple tangs. The Sailfin is larger than a salad plate that comes in a set of dishes.

There are also a Clarki clown, a handful of blue/green chromis, some Bartlett Anthias, and an algae blenny. I have a sand sifting starfish and several crabs and snails. Should even be peppermint shrimp in there somewhere. I don't see them often though.

The Deltec came from Exotic Tropicals in Rogers Arkansas. I got the install done on 4/22/06 I believe. It pulls tons of junk out every week.

Lovelylinda,
It took alot of honey do's and begging to get that skimmer. The honey do's and the begging is a daily practice though. It helps to have a wife that is addicted to this hobby also. I gave her her first fix about 3-4 years ago with a 75 gallon tank. She and I just love it.
I love gadgets and electronics stuff so I am always looking for some new stuff to add. If she ever figures out how to hook up the equipment she wouldn't need me anymore, well my income helps too. Anyway, did I say I love this skimmer? Do you make house calls?

Jim_S
07/06/2006, 10:21 PM
IBASSFSH,

At least she enjoys the hobby. My girlfriend doesn't even like to look at the tank anymore:(

Nice set-up BTW.

Jim

Volcano1
07/08/2006, 04:18 PM
If I could steal the thread for a minute. I'm in a similar situation as musicbabe, curently with a 450 gal system. I'm currently using an asm-g6, but would like to upgrade. Seeing on how the oceanrunners got good reviews, is there a deltec/ h&s equiv. the uses these pumps? Wouldn't you would get a little better bang for the buck than the aquabee skimmers?

Thanks,

Todd

Jim_S
07/08/2006, 04:28 PM
The only pumps that Deltec and H&S use on their standard skimmers are aqua bee and Ehiem as far as I know. And I don't know of competing company that makes one with the OP pumps. However, Spazz makes nice DIY skimmers with OR pumps I think. You may want to send him over a PM.

And even though the OR is a good pump, I don't think is performs as well as the Ehiems.

But, $$$ wise, you are right. You may get a little more for money with the OR. How they compare to the AB pumps, I don't know.

Jim