PDA

View Full Version : Sea slugs?

scooterbundy
07/02/2006, 09:10 PM
I have a large amount of various sizes of sea slugs, They don't seem to bother anything (corals), but they have overtaken the tank. I was wondering if there is anything that eats them or how do I cut down on the population? They are nocturnal, my shrimp and hermit crabs don't seem to be interested. If anybody has any info about them please let me know. Thanks Mike

Amphiprion
07/02/2006, 09:10 PM
Are you sure they are sea slugs? Why not try posting a pic to be certain.

thor32766
07/02/2006, 09:12 PM
yeah any pics of them, sounds interesting

Asuran
07/02/2006, 09:29 PM
does it look something like this? i dont know what this is either

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hitchhiker4pj.jpg

http://img54.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hitchhiker0015ax.jpg

scooterbundy
07/07/2006, 10:25 PM
neither of the pics are them, hard to take a pic, then only come out at night and I don't think my digital would take a pic with no lighting. Guess I could turn the light on while they are out. They are definitely a soft shelled snail, they have antenas or antenies (spelling) and graze along the glass and rocks with a suction mouth. Some have a little redish appearance followed by a white body. Most are white, sizes range from 2 inch down to about 1/4 inch. I will either try taking a pic or maybe get one out and take a pic in some water. Like I said they don't seem to bother anything, but they sure do multiple quickly. I have probably about 50 that I can see. Thanks Mike

reefshadow
07/08/2006, 12:01 AM
sounds like stomatella snails, if so they are very beneficial and harmless grazers. some folks would pay money to get them in their tank. I love mine!

Freed
07/08/2006, 12:47 AM
Why would you want to get rid of them if they aren't hurting anything?

scooterbundy
07/08/2006, 10:18 PM
stomatella snails humm do you have any pics? Oh I am not looking to rid my tank of them, just reduce the population, I have a lot, and they seem to multiple rapidly. Off course I have no algae for my tanks to graze on either. Mike