PDA

View Full Version : Inheriting a 72 gallon bowfront....

doowain9999
07/02/2006, 09:29 PM
My parents are giving me a 72 gallon AGA bowfront which they no longer have time to maintain. It has about 120 gallons of LR in it and various fishes. I have a 29 gallon and have dabbled a bit with corals and such, but have just a fish only setup with that one at the moment. (Gave the parents all of my LR and corals once I got married and moved out)

I'm looking to get back into the reef setup with this one I believe, so it looks like I'll be addicted once again :D

My question is this.....they currently have a hangon overflow (?) that runs to the sump underneath. I hate the box because it takes up way too much real estate inside the tank and it's not very pleasing to the eye hanging off the back like that. So, what are the chances of getting this thing drilled for overflows? Either by a professional or, depending upon how difficult it is, myself? Is this even possible?

I greatly appreciate any feedback and I look forward to lurking in these forums again.

Andrew
07/02/2006, 09:36 PM
[welcome]

Well you may be able to drill it for an overflow but it may be tempered glass.

doowain9999
07/02/2006, 11:21 PM
So, if it's tempered glass, it cannot be drilled? How do I know if it's tempered glass?

blakeoe
07/02/2006, 11:48 PM
Most tanks that are tempered will say it somewhere. Usually a sticker on the bottom plate of glass but BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL!! I tried drilling the back of a 55 gallon tank that did not say tempered anywhere on it and it shattered. Because of that i bought a 72 gallon bow front that was drilled on the back by the previous owner and he said the bottom was tempered. Best bet is to look up the manufacturer and see what they use or maybe a glass place could be more help but my main advice is DO NOT RELY STRICTLY ON IT HAVING OR NOT HAVING A STICKER!! or you could end up like me.

itz frank
07/03/2006, 01:17 AM
Take it to a glass cutter. They'd be able to tell you. Most will garantee work too. Worst comes to worst just paint the overflow and back of the glass the same color. You won't even notice it.

MJAnderson
07/03/2006, 05:49 AM
If it's the AGA 72g bowfront, it's tempered. I have the same one.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/bowfront.shtml

Check out the site and see if it looks like that.

jprince58
07/03/2006, 05:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7672116#post7672116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MJAnderson
If it's the AGA 72g bowfront, it's tempered. I have the same one.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/bowfront.shtml

Check out the site and see if it looks like that.

To be more specific, only the bottom is tempered. I bought a RR version and then had my LFS drill the back for a 1.5" closed loop drain. You can DIY, but quality glass hole saws aren't cheap. You'd probably be $$ ahead by getting someone with the right equipment and experience to do it for you.

doowain9999
07/03/2006, 09:26 PM
It looks as though I'm going to get it drilled on the back of the aquarium. The LFS suggested that I get it drilled slightly off center in the back so that I can still have side views of the aquarium without really noticing the plumbing.

New question.....I'm still going to keep my 29, so there won't be any combining going on. I plan on making this 72 fish only. I had planned on "mean" livestock for this one :)

I want to get a lionfish. I know this one will work in this size aquarium. The other that I'd love to have is a Porcupine Puffer. I have heard contradicting advice on this. I've heard 55 gallons min up to 90 gallons min for this guy. Considering I only plan on having those two in there and maybe one other fish, would this be OK?

Thanks.