PDA

View Full Version : Your addiction to Reef equipment?

geckofrog
07/03/2006, 08:38 AM
I'll have to confess that Im addicted to getting the new and "greatest" thing for my reef tank.

anyone else like this? Or am I the only addict here?

travisurfer
07/03/2006, 08:57 AM
too poor to do that. i prefer the natural look/filtration anyway.

geckofrog
07/03/2006, 08:59 AM
All my equipment goes into the sump, and yes I prefer the natural look too, its just I like to have the "best" ...

chadfarmer
07/03/2006, 08:59 AM
yes but i like everything i buy stuff just to see if i like it compaired to my old equipment

i have been through 5 calcium reactors in the last 2 years, 6 skimmers and building my own to compair to my deltec

i have sold so much of my old equipment that they think i am commercial on RC

i only have a 58 gallon tank

marinelife
07/03/2006, 09:45 AM
I go with the natural look too, I hate looking at clean live rock, it is not like that in the ocean, spending money on extra equipment is just not needed

143gadgets
07/03/2006, 10:37 AM
My name is Chris and I'm an addict. I am with ya. I just bought a Deltec AP701 to replace my AP600. My tank is ONLY a 75 gallon!

Mishap
07/03/2006, 11:16 AM
Less technology more biology is my standpoint.

chadfarmer
07/03/2006, 11:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7673466#post7673466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mishap
Less technology more biology is my standpoint.

i believe that you should do what you like

still waiting for the smaller bubble kings to come out

Bono
07/03/2006, 12:08 PM
I think I actually like tinkering with the tank and equipment more than looking at it. I always say when I get the latest and greatest my tank will be set, although it never is.

I also had numerous skimmers, wave makers, lights you name it that worked great but I just wanted to try something else out. And if I added up all the money spent and lost I would have a breakdown.

geckofrog
07/03/2006, 12:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7673756#post7673756 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scubby
I think I actually like tinkering with the tank and equipment more than looking at it. I always say when I get the latest and greatest my tank will be set, although it never is.

I also had numerous skimmers, wave makers, lights you name it that worked great but I just wanted to try something else out. And if I added up all the money spent and lost I would have a breakdown.

Yup I'm a tinkering with it every stinkin day. I fear the day when I can get everything quite right. Then i'll be bored.:rolleyes:

Cuby2k
07/03/2006, 12:29 PM
hmmmmm, no I can't say that I have that problem. I sometimes wonder if this is really a safe hobby, it makes people lie to their spouses, pay late fees to the mortgage company, deprive their children of regular meals, etc. Where does it all end! :rollface:

geckofrog
07/03/2006, 01:32 PM
lie to their spouses? You shouldn't have to if your marketing it to her correctly ;)

Cuby2k
07/03/2006, 05:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7674286#post7674286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geckofrog
lie to their spouses? You shouldn't have to if your marketing it to her correctly ;)

I agree but I am an engineer not a marketeer. Actually I don't lie to her, I just try to keep my mouth shut. If I get a direct question, well I am then in trouble.

And I don't starve my kids or steal from the collection plate. But, I have sold some very cool stuff for extremely cheap on Ebay in an effort to pay for all this stuff. I started with a collection of over 50 bowling balls and am now on my collection of vintage LP's from the 60's and 70's.

My typical method of investment is to buy high and sell low.

arconom
07/03/2006, 05:13 PM
Like Chadfarmer, I'm also waiting for the the Small BK:)

TellyFish
07/03/2006, 05:19 PM
I like to build whatever I can (just about everything) but I can usually justify just about any extravagant purchase if its "going to be better for the fishes"

old salty
07/03/2006, 08:14 PM
For me, reefkeeping is much cheaper than cars. I put over $10,000 into mods in a brand new $32,000 car. Then I sold it for WAAAY less.

I can't take any of my money with me when I die, so I have decided to pass it all off as if tomorrow is my day.

milkshake
07/03/2006, 09:04 PM
There for a while, the UPS man new us (me and wife) pretty good.
When something came in my wife would say, "what did you get this time?" She even made the comment,"Don't you think this is going a little too far?" She's right, to a certain extent. I catch myself thinking that if I just add this or that, the tank would run and look better...etc. I drove an 18 wheeler there for a good while. I would stay gone for 2-3 weeks at a time. I was calling the wife and asking her how the tank was doing. There was several times that I broke the bank after buying things for the tank. For goodness sake, we don't even have a kitchen table anymore because the tank and sump (along with everything else tank related) take up that space. Someone should start a therapy group for this. It's like a drug. You buy something to put in the tank, get happy looking at it, it gets old, buy something else to get that happiness back, sell it, buy something else, etc..etc.. By the way, my name is George and I'm an addict.

steve the plumb
07/03/2006, 09:54 PM
yes I agree its like a shot of heroin when you buy something.I have to many fish and corals yet I am always moving some corals to try and fit more.I am thinking of getting another larger skimmer.My money goes to the hobby.I also want to get a larger tank.I have been thinking of a 220 or a 400 gal.I have to see what it will cost but the wife doesn't like the hobby.I think I should get a second jog to pay for this dream tank.I want a 8 to 10 foot tank.This will give me more space for corals.I can say this is one dam expensive hobby that I can't get enough of.

davocean
07/04/2006, 10:36 AM
I love seeing someone talking about getting a 220 or 400.
It's kinda like having that friend that drinks a little more than you!
Now I don't feel so bad about buying my new 180!
At least I'm not as addicted as that other dude!

travisurfer
07/04/2006, 11:34 AM
ha, i like smaller tanks so im lucky. i wonder what some people make every year here since running tanks is so expensive. as somebody that knows hes not gonna make a lot of money(teacher/biologist most likely) im going to have to enjoy my nanos.

DamnDamsel
07/04/2006, 12:06 PM
I don't think it has much to do with how much you make a year. Its just how closely you space your new purchases.

steve the plumb
07/04/2006, 04:25 PM
its callled spend whatever you can because you are not going to take it with you.The 220 will run about $900 with built in overflow and drilled for a closed loop.The stand is another story.Depends if I want to build it myself wich I know I will never get around to it.The 400 gal is a monster tank.It will run about $2500 wich isn't cheap plus more lighting,live rock,larger skimmer etc.Its a dream but its a big dream.I don't think I can get the 400 the misses won't like the price.

Cuby2k
07/04/2006, 04:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7679366#post7679366 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by travisurfer
ha, i like smaller tanks so im lucky. i wonder what some people make every year here since running tanks is so expensive. as somebody that knows hes not gonna make a lot of money(teacher/biologist most likely) im going to have to enjoy my nanos.

Well for me I wanted a 30 gallon or so thinking that would take care of it. Then I read that a 55 is the smallest you should go in an effort to maintain some stability and ease of maintenance. Then it grew to a 90, 120 and 150. Finally I plopped down for a 180 because I was afraid of what size I might end up with if I didn't commit NOW.

steve the plumb
07/04/2006, 06:42 PM
Who says size doesn't matter?