PDA

View Full Version : Why is my tank crashing?

SheroMedic
07/03/2006, 09:45 AM
I think I may be experiencing my first official "crash"... My 90 gallon reef was thriving week ago until the last few days. It seems all of my inverts are dying. Hermits gone. Shrimp gone. Now my leather, xenia, mushrooms, zoos, are all shriveled and slowly dissolving. Notably my tank has a distinct chemical smell almost like weak turpentine.

I just placed a tigertail cucumber in the tank which is the likely culprit. However it seems to be doing fine and there is no evidence of "cuke nuke". I did a major water change to no avail.

My water params are as follows;

temp-79
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate- 0-5
KH-9
Alk-3
Calcium-480
Salinity-1.025

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sharif

BTW, Filtration is a pre-filter sock, Carbon, and G-2 ASM skimmer. Total flow rate 2300gph

RichConley
07/03/2006, 09:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7672935#post7672935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SheroMedic
Notably my tank has a distinct chemical smell almost like weak turpentine.

!!!????!!!!?????

I'd start doing some major water changes.

tibbs2
07/03/2006, 09:48 AM
If your fish are ok and it is just your inverts maybe your salinity is not what you think it is. Take you water to a friend's house or a fish shop and have them test your salinity.

Like Rich said. Do water changes too. Were you painting in the room the tank is in or were using any chemicals in the area?

UrbanSage
07/03/2006, 02:22 PM
About the tigertail, I do not believe this specific kind is toxic (more than anything else decomposing in a tank) which is why it is a popular choice, and if its alive I would look somewhere else for the reasohn. I agree with above posters, doublecheck your salinity and get busy with water changes!