PDA

View Full Version : want to get rid of a pistol shrimp

luispa
07/03/2006, 12:17 PM
please help
i have been about 6 months now trying to get rid of some pistol shrimps of my 30 gal tank. Think I saw like 3 of them and have tried using a mantis srimp trap called X-terminator but it has not worked yet... (have only caught my scarlet cleaner shrimp)

also i have tried removing pieces of live rock from the tank that i think the shrimps live in but until now I only have captured one.

are there any other ways i can get them out?
thanks for any advice

bertoni
07/03/2006, 05:02 PM
[welcome]

Hmm, the trap is probably the best bet. I'm not sure about any other approach that would be reef-safe.

mlukason
07/03/2006, 07:45 PM
Luispa,

A trap may work (I've been looking for my pistols for a long time...not to get rid of them but to watch them). Pistol shrimps are pretty harmless. I have had one or two in my tank for about 2 years...no loss of livestock. I'd just leave them in (just my opinion).

Good luck!

weaselslucks
07/03/2006, 07:49 PM
*lol*i just paid 40 buck for a pistol shrimp

luispa
07/04/2006, 12:05 AM
wow $40 i see them everytime i go snorkling and peek around the rubble around reefs

they sure make lots of noise
i wanted to get them out because i was told they could have possibly killed my bangai cardenals had five all died mysteriously one by one after a week or so that i bought them at the LFS
???
anyways
thanks a lot