PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria in a Q-tank

Capt. Nemo
07/04/2006, 05:18 PM
I set up my quarantine tank last Saturday with the intention of putting my first fish in there the same day. As my luck would have it, the fish that the LFS had been holding for me developed a virus. The fish is still at the LFS and my q-tank is still empty. So here comes the question. Now that I have no fish and therefore no ammonia in the q-tank, will the bacteria on my sponge filter begin to starve? I dont plan on putting any fish in the q-tank until this weekend? What do I need to do to maintain my bacteria population? Can I throw some raw shrimp in the q-tank to produce some ammonia for the bacteria?

bertoni
07/04/2006, 06:54 PM
The bacteria will start to die off. Just add a flake or two of fish food now and then, and you'll keep some active.

Capt. Nemo
07/04/2006, 07:00 PM
Jonathan to the rescue once again! I dont know how I'd survive without you. It sounds like I better do something quick or I wont have much bacteria left. I never gave a damn about bacteria until I got into this crazy hobby. Anyhow, since this needs quick action and I dont have any flakes around but myself could I run out to the grocery store and get me some shrimp. How much do I need to put into a 10 gal? Thanks again!

Capt. Nemo
07/04/2006, 09:34 PM
I just added the raw shrimp. I went to the supermarket, but ofcourse they were closed so I end up having to go to a restaurant and ordered a shrimp cocktail. Am I nuts or what? Anyhow my all important question now is if there is any bacteria left alive on my sponge since there was no ammonia for them to dine on for the last 3 days? How long can bacteria go without ammonia? God help me if I need to reseed the stinkin sponge all over again. : ) My whole 4th of July has been about bacteria, ammonia and shrimp.

ralphie16
07/04/2006, 11:50 PM
i cant tell if your serious Capt Nemo, because you better get that cocktail shrimp out of there and fast!! it needs to be the fried type of shrimp. make sure you go back and get the fried because that way the cullose breaks down in the shrimp so it will be easier to digest for the bacteria. you know the same way you have to boil lettuce for a few minutes so Tangs can eat them. i cant beleive you use shrimp cocktail. at least i hope you added in the sauce to neutralize the acidity if the shrimp.

hope you got to this before its too late.

Capt. Nemo
07/05/2006, 06:16 AM
Ralphie boy, I think it is you who must be joking and not me. Raw shrimp is the way to go.

speeds5
07/05/2006, 09:05 AM
:lmao: :D
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7682401#post7682401 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ralphie16
i cant tell if your serious Capt Nemo, because you better get that cocktail shrimp out of there and fast!! it needs to be the fried type of shrimp. make sure you go back and get the fried because that way the cullose breaks down in the shrimp so it will be easier to digest for the bacteria. you know the same way you have to boil lettuce for a few minutes so Tangs can eat them. i cant beleive you use shrimp cocktail. <b>at least i hope you added in the sauce to neutralize the acidity if the shrimp.</b>

hope you got to this before its too late.

bertoni
07/05/2006, 04:37 PM
I like mine grilled with a bit of lemon. Of course, a few slices of onions are tasty, too. Bacteria like fine cuisine, too! :)

I would take most of the raw shrimp out, freeze it, and add in a bit at a time. I don't know how long bacteria take to starve, but three days isn't likely long enough to send the population to zero. A small, steady input is best, IMO, to keep the bacteria going and the smell down. Besides, onions are best fresh off the grill. :)

Capt. Nemo
07/06/2006, 09:36 PM
Just to play it on the safe side and for added insurance I thought I would add some LR to my quarantine tank. As mentioned earlier in this insane post, the bacteria from my sponge filter may have taken heavy casualties since there was no ammonia in the q-tank for 3 days and therefore my bio-filtration may need a boost from LR. The only problem I forsee doing this would be if I had to do a copper treatment at which time I would have to remove the rock. What do you guys think? Thanks

bertoni
07/06/2006, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't bother. If the bacteria are all gone, the food will bring them back pretty quickly. Some ammonia tests should give you an answer.

Capt. Nemo
07/06/2006, 10:36 PM
Since adding the shrimp I have seen an ammonia spike. I assume if the bacteria are alive and kicking and do their job, I should see that level off.

bertoni
07/06/2006, 10:41 PM
Yes, you'll see it level off, but it could take a long time if the shrimp is still in the tank.

Capt. Nemo
07/06/2006, 10:46 PM
I removed most of the shrimp and just left a small piece in the tank. There shouldnt be any shrimp in the tank?

bertoni
07/07/2006, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't leave it in there. Just toss a tiny strip in every couple days after the ammonia hits zero.

Capt. Nemo
07/07/2006, 10:46 AM
Anybody out there use LR for quarantine tank bio-filtration?