PDA

View Full Version : Recirc Beckett Skimmers

BreadmanMike
07/05/2006, 06:00 AM
Can someone explain to me the benefits of a recirc beckett skimmer? Don't the beckett injectors create the bubbles, thus destroying the old ones being recirculated? Wouldn't this allow the protiens to be released unless picked up again by a new bubble? What am I missing...?

Fiziksgeek
07/05/2006, 08:36 AM
I think (and I might be wrong) the advantage is that there is less flow through the skimmer. You need something like 800 gph to get good foam with a beckett. With a standard skimmer, you simply push the water through and some of the gunk gets pulled out, and the water returns to the tank. With a recirc model, the flow through the skimmer is much less, and thus the contact time of the water with air is much greater. Each water molecule gets several passes through the beckett before returning to the tank.

BreadmanMike
07/05/2006, 09:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7683346#post7683346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fiziksgeek
I think (and I might be wrong) the advantage is that there is less flow through the skimmer. You need something like 800 gph to get good foam with a beckett. With a standard skimmer, you simply push the water through and some of the gunk gets pulled out, and the water returns to the tank. With a recirc model, the flow through the skimmer is much less, and thus the contact time of the water with air is much greater. Each water molecule gets several passes through the beckett before returning to the tank.

That makes some sense, thanks!