PDA

View Full Version : Aquariums for you ?

mkarston
07/05/2006, 07:49 PM
I found this company and I really seem to like there sump options. Please, give me some advise; what do you think of either of these sumps?

Option 1:
Wet/Dry (http://www.aquariumsforyou.com/detail.aspx?ID=29)

Option 2:
Refuge (http://www.aquariumsforyou.com/detail.aspx?ID=40)

Thanks in advance,

Craig

horkn
07/05/2006, 07:59 PM
dont bother with the wet /dry
and you can make your own fuge/ sump for a lot less than 300 dollars.

but if you want to spend the money, go ahead.

fsn77
07/05/2006, 08:05 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't pay that much money for something that can be DIY-ed so easily out of an old (or even a new) aquarium.

Is that skimmer included? There doesn't seem to be a lot of space in that area, so if it's not or you ever need to change skimmers, you may have limited options.

mkarston
07/05/2006, 08:17 PM
OK, thanks for the comments, and that is kind of what I have gathered. I guess what I am trying to accomplish is getting a decent economical sump as a base, and adding an Octopus NW150 skimmer. I don’t mind the DIY option, but the one thing that I seem to like the pre-made ones for, is the initial chamber (intake from aquarium’s overflow box). I haven’t seen a good DIY design that really address this, they are mostly just a hose dropped in the sump.

What is every one doing for a sump? Berlin? Wet/Dry? Refuge?

Is a Refuge really that much better? Is it worth the added equipment and up-keep?

Thanks,

Craig

horkn
07/05/2006, 09:31 PM
the "hose dropped in the sump" sure seems to work quite well for all the local reefers that use this method. I think thats one idea if you DIY one, you could improve upon (aesthetically at least) , if you felt like it.

you can incorporate a fuge into your sump. matter of fact, i wouldnt start another aquarium without having a fuge on it from day 1. The beneficial algae in the fuge will prevent you from having algal issues like I have in my sumpless/ fugeless 35g reef.

just dave
07/05/2006, 10:52 PM
Those filters are Aquatic Life Systems units if it makes any difference to you.