PDA

View Full Version : Fishy Business

calvin415
07/05/2006, 09:18 PM
Anyone else been into Fishy Business yet? Ran in tonight, the store looks so much better, the tanks and fish look great, prices seemed very reasonable... It's gonna be nice to have a store closer to the east side of town! :)

murfman
07/05/2006, 09:24 PM
Hmmmmmm giving SeaScape a run for its money????

reefkoi
07/05/2006, 09:39 PM
I havent even considered Fishy business for the last 10 years! I always assumed he was selling crack out the back because I cant imagine how a store like that could survive all those years.
I will have to stop by the new one, is it the same location at maizeland & academy?

Leopard Wrasse
07/06/2006, 12:21 AM
It's across the street (maizeland ) from where it used to be.

Crit21
07/07/2006, 09:30 AM
I went in yesterday. Let's see...the lights were on, no growling dog in sight, the people were very friendly and actually willing to talk to customers, the tanks were full of fish, and the PRICES ARE GREAT! For example, they have some really nice lyretail anthias for $10. I think Fishy Business will be the first stop I'll make when looking for fish.

racer69
07/07/2006, 11:09 AM
Wow! $10 for Lyretail Anthias' is a really good deal.

ReefJerk
07/07/2006, 11:51 AM
How many did they have? For $10, I could hold those until my tank is ready.

COreefer
07/07/2006, 12:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7696768#post7696768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Crit21
I went in yesterday. Let's see...the lights were on, no growling dog in sight, the people were very friendly and actually willing to talk to customers, the tanks were full of fish, and the PRICES ARE GREAT! For example, they have some really nice lyretail anthias for $10. I think Fishy Business will be the first stop I'll make when looking for fish.

Are you sure they were lyretail???

Crit21
07/07/2006, 12:50 PM
Eric, yes, but I'm not sure all of them were lyretails. Regardless, they were all just $10. When I left yesterday there were two fuschia colored, and one or two off-orange ones left.

You should go see what he has.

COreefer
07/07/2006, 01:03 PM
Will do when I get a chance...

Crit21
07/07/2006, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't know the difference between lyretails anyway. All I know is that they look nice.

Crit21
07/07/2006, 09:00 PM
I checked the store today. The $10 anthias are gone. They have three nice lyretails for $16 each, two purple queen anthias for around $26 and another one that I can't remember for about the same price.

They have a mountain of larger hermits (shells about 2 inches or so), but I don't know the price.

Crit21
07/08/2006, 08:46 AM
Forgot to say...they have the biggest lionfish I've ever seen for $50. Probably a foot from spine tip to spine tip.

reefkoi
07/08/2006, 11:40 AM
what about corals??

calvin415
07/08/2006, 11:47 AM
No corals yet... They are still trying to get the store up and running, they have fish and some drygoods, but I'm sure they will start into corals when they can.

green wrasse
07/08/2006, 06:10 PM
I think I saw the price for large hermits were 4.99 the store looks a lot better

Deuce67
07/08/2006, 06:21 PM
I was in there today (even bumped into racer69 and avs21) and I must say its starting to look good in there. Prices were good and competitive. I chatted with Barb (I think that was her name) for a bit and she inform me that it will be about 60 days before they will really get in some corals. The tanks needed some good cleaning and will prolly need a good cycling before they get some corals. She says that they have a good vendor from California that will provide them the livestock. Overall, I give it a B+. Very promising for sure. Oh and guess what? All the light in the tanks were on when I walked in.

racer69
07/08/2006, 08:07 PM
I like the place. Although I come to Colorado springs, and run into Russ, and Eric(Calvin415) at two different fish stores (man we ore predictable). I did buy one of the male Lyretail Anthias for $15.99 and he is already eating mysis this evening. I also talked to the owners a little and they seem excited to be in business. Lets just hope they can keep growing.

Crit21
07/08/2006, 08:29 PM
I must've been in right after you. I thought they said COreefer bought the lyretail. Oh well, I bought the other two. :D

COreefer
07/08/2006, 08:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7705615#post7705615 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Crit21
I must've been in right after you. I thought they said COreefer bought the lyretail. Oh well, I bought the other two. :D

Wasn't me. :)

I didn't make it over there today...

reefkoi
07/08/2006, 09:19 PM
Quote:Oh and guess what? All the light in the tanks were on when I walked in:
LMAO yeah you always needed a flashlight in that place huh. Thats funny, I forgot about that, brings back memories.
What about walking in and about falling over from the fumes from him staining furniture

COreefer
07/15/2006, 06:57 PM
I finally made it over to the new and improved fishy business. Much cleaner than it previously was...the owners seemed nice and are definitely working to make it a store worth checking out from time to time, however...

I wasn't all that enamoured with the prices as some others have been...they had purple queen anthias for $24, which is about average. They had a nice longnose BF for $30 which is a bit below average, but then they have a singapore angel for $70!!! It seems to me this inconsistency is the standard in CS, and that's why the vast majority of us shop around. Mr. Aqua could have a fish much less than Seascape, and another fish may be cheaper at Seascape. It pays to shop around in this town for sure, because I picked up a singapore angel weeks ago from Mr Aqua for $25.

racer69
07/15/2006, 07:40 PM
I definitely agree Eric. I also shop around.

Mustang394
07/16/2006, 12:26 AM
Hi, for those of you who don't aready know, a few of you do. I'm the new co-owner of Fishy Business (male side). I have been silently watching the forum for several months. I wanted to say first that I have enjoyed reading all the comments. Good or bad that have been posted over the last couple of months. Some even made me laugh. Eric's comments about our pricing were what really made me decide to post with who I am. Our intention is to always be fairly priced. Obviously a Singapore Angel at $70 does not meet that goal. It's listed in our computer at $23.99. Unfornately in our mad rush to get things setup some prices have been posted incorrectly. Some as was pointed out today have not been posted at all. We don't price to what we think an individual can pay and will never intentionaly over price an item. If you see something that seems over priced or know you can get a better price, ask if we can match or beat the price with out taking a loss we will. Our thought is over priced stock never sell and cost to much to feed. Thanks for listening and all the feedback we have gotten both in the forum and face to face.

Keith

murfman
07/16/2006, 08:46 AM
Keith, good to hear from you and welcome to SCMAS. It is nice to know that you are out there to support the hobby and willing to take that extra step to help out hobbiest. I have not been to your new store (I am in Virginia att) but will make an effort to stop by and visit when I return. Thanks again for posting and the willingness to work with us!

Crit21
07/16/2006, 09:12 AM
Every LFS in town has some positive attributes--price, quality, selection, variety, location, customer service, and friendliness. No LFS is perfect for everyone, but IMHO Fishy Business is a welcome presence.

COreefer
07/16/2006, 10:44 AM
Well 23.99 is certainly a better price on the singapore...I agree with Dan, any new store is a welcome presence in this town because its the same ole song and dance with all of the others for the most part. Poor stock selection, high prices, poor service, etc...

Crit21
07/16/2006, 02:52 PM
Eric, Did you put a singapore in with the clams? :O Mine killed a sand sifting star within 2 days.

Mustang394
07/16/2006, 10:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7751896#post7751896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by murfman
Keith, good to hear from you and welcome to SCMAS. It is nice to know that you are out there to support the hobby and willing to take that extra step to help out hobbiest. I have not been to your new store (I am in Virginia att) but will make an effort to stop by and visit when I return. Thanks again for posting and the willingness to work with us!

Thanks Murfman,

Be sure to introduce yourself, I know so many of you have been in always nice to put a face to the name. I'm retired Army as well bet we could tell some stories together. Some of them maybe even true LOL.

Mustang394
07/16/2006, 10:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7751896#post7751896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by murfman

Thanks Murfman,

Be sure to introduce yourself, I know so many of you have been in always nice to put a face to the name. I'm retired Army as well bet we could tell some stories together. Some of them maybe even true LOL.